40th Birthday European Cruise

STB7481

Well, this came together fast.  My wife and I just booked a June 2021 sailing to the Western Mediterranean sailing out of Barcelona.  We will be joined by another couple and will all be celebrating turning 40.

My wife and I sailed on Harmony last summer and loved it.   We visited Barcelona in 2007, so it has been a while.  I know the ship well, but interested in any tips about what to see and do on this itinerary. Anything from the ports, to where to stay in Barcelona, boarding tips, etc.  this will just be our 2nd RC Cruise.  Plenty of time to plan (and pay!)

Barcelona, Spain

Ø  Palma De Mallorca, Spain

Ø  Provence (Marseilles), France

Ø  Florence/Pisa (La Spezia), Italy

Ø  Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Ø  Naples (Capri), Italy

Ø  Cruising

Ø  Barcelona, Spain

We are doing this cruise May 10th, 2020 but on Allure.

I haven't finalized our excursions but once I do I can share if you want me to?

We are arriving 2 days before our cruise to explore Barcelona (first time for all four of us)

If you want me to I can report back  after our trip I can.

We are super excited fo this trip

We booked it on while cruising on HOS, we loved Harmony, that's why we picked the Allure.

23 hours ago, STB7481 said:

Well, this came together fast.  My wife and I just booked a June 2021 sailing to the Western Mediterranean sailing out of Barcelona.  We will be joined by another couple and will all be celebrating turning 40.

My wife and I sailed on Harmony last summer and loved it.   We visited Barcelona in 2007, so it has been a while.  I know the ship well, but interested in any tips about what to see and do on this itinerary. Anything from the ports, to where to stay in Barcelona, boarding tips, etc.  this will just be our 2nd RC Cruise.  Plenty of time to plan (and pay!)

Barcelona, Spain

Ø  Palma De Mallorca, Spain

Ø  Provence (Marseilles), France

Ø  Florence/Pisa (La Spezia), Italy

Ø  Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Ø  Naples (Capri), Italy

Ø  Cruising

Ø  Barcelona, Spain

On the topic of ports/excursions, many ports will be hot in June, so plan on drinking lots of water!  Between Pisa and Florence (from Livorno), I'd vote for Florence.  We visited Pisa, which was OK, but not exactly overwhelming.  The next time we are in Naples, will try to visit Capri.  We climbed Mt Vesuvius, which has a great view, and also toured Pompei.  Both have value, but Pompei is better.  In Rome, you can walk around on your own and see most of the key sites. Royal has excursions like "Rome on your own" which provide you transportation from and to the port.

I'd suggest taking a look at Rick Steves' videos on Italy for some background and ideas.

I also recommend using Rick Steves as a reference. I used his Mediterranean cruise port guidebook and had an AMAZING time on my cruise out of Barcelona. I’ve never been disappointed when I travel with Rick. ?
Sagrada Familia is my favorite spot in Barcelona. You can buy tickets online and it will save you a lot of time. (It’s all in Rick’s book) 

Happy 40th if I don’t talk to you before then. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions

Hello! We will be on the June 21st Allure cruise celebrating our 20th.
In  Palma De Mallorca we plan to rent scooters at the port and roam around on our own.

Marseilles, We are reserved to do a wine tour: https://www.provencewinetours.com/shore-excursions/

La Spezia Looking at going to just Florence, trying to find a good tour or bus that goes there.

Rome, Debating between a small group tour to Rome or taking a bus there and doing it on our own. Good site: https://www.rometoolkit.com/walks/rome_walks.html

Naples, Reserved the Amalfi Coast tour (Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento). This is tour can accommodate 8 and there are 4 signed up now. Total cost is 360 euros for 6 people. If we have 8 people total it is 420 euros. This amount to be split evenly by participants.

17 hours ago, KaydenDeen said:

@uniongodess Rick has saved me a lot of time and money. I’ve gotten more out of every Mediterranean cruise port than I ever expected and I owe him all the credit. Hope you find the book as helpful as I did!

@KaydenDeen and @uniongodess I'm visiting Greek Islands on Explorer out of Rome in 2020, on Amazon now ordering Rick Steves book. Thanks for the tip!