Planning first cruise - November 2020

Newbie Cruiser

Planning our first family cruise, November 2020 Southern Caribbean. 

I have enjoyed reading and researching all your helpful tips and tricks!

Question regarding the Southern Caribbean Cruise - St Martinique, Virgin Islands, Barbados, St Kitts, St Lucia, Puerto Rico, if you have been on that particular cruise your help will be greatly appreciated.

We would like to do at least 2 excursions

With each one of the ports, which port is closest to the town, markets, beach that is in walking distance from the ship so we can enjoy the town opposed to doing an excursion.  Which port is best place to do an excursion and what was the excursion you enjoyed. 

We are 2 families going there will be 10 adults, all kids over the age of 20. 

One more thing, If we purchase the drink package, can we use our own cup, that is insulated with a lid?

Thank you very much!

Excellent cruise choice, we did southern last January and doing Southern again January of 2020, not sure if you have ever did segways, we have did,them on so many islands, but the Segway tour in St Kitts was one of our favorites, plenty of shopping in same area as you start and end the tour. 

Your personal cup will not work with the Freestyle beverage machines.  You didn't mention which ship you are on, but if it's one with the machines then the chip in the cup activates the machine.  You'd have to use that cup to dispense the liquid, them pout it in your own cup. 

I bring my own yeti and hydroflask mugs/cups.  I just take what they give me and pour it in those.  If it's the freestyle i use their cup and transfer.  My wife uses the cup they provide so we have it with to use the freestyle.  I even pour my coffee from their cups to mine to keep it hot.  Never had any issues and Ive seen many others do the same.  I also take water bottles and empty them in to the mugs so I can have lots of cold water in one container!  Works great for taking water to shore excursions!

In regards to excursions...

We did zipline in st kitts.  That was nice.  Working on our video of the experience now and hope to have it up this weekend so you could check that out to see if its for you.  Also did the dolphins there on a different cruise which was nice.  

In St lucia we did an island tour which was also really cool.  Great island.

Barbados we have done several snorkel type excursions.  My biggest complaint with those is ALL THE PEOPLE.  I can't tell you how many times i was kicked because the people are PACKED in the area trying to see the sunken items.  VERY CROWDED but still mostly enjoyable if you can make some space.

In regards to "virgin islands" Im not sure which one you are going to since there are several there.  And for "St Martinique" do you mean "St Maarten" or "Martinique".  2 different locations.  We have been to both.  If you mean St maarten we did a discover scuba which was awesome if you want to try scuba!  Wee have a video of that excursion

That is a great cruise itinerary and we love it...Im sure you will too!!!

On 11/6/2019 at 12:24 PM, Matt said:

San Juan, Puerto Rico is the easiest because Old San Juan is right where you dock. You dont need an excursion there, just walk around town.

Barbados and St Kitts you need excursions for. Barbados has really nice beaches.

San Juan has a really big and interesting fort you can visit in Old San Juan that you can walk to, very interesting and you get some great views as well