Internet package Buy it before on on board?

nigel p

I am shortly off and was looking at the internet packages ,I am Diamond plus so get 2x 24hour complimentary sessions if my memory serves me right we could use the value of these against the full voyage package on board. I called RCI to check if we would receive a credit on the account for the 2 unused days if we buy before hand and was told that it does not happen and you lose the 2 periods.So any advice on what to do would be appreciated.

That is correct.  The D+ discount is only good when purchased onboard.  You cannot combine your D+ discount and a cruise planner discount.

Sometimes it’s cheaper to purchase pre-cruise through the cruise planner than to wait to get onboard and use your D+ discount.  The price for one of my upcoming cruises was discounted 45% pre-cruise and my D+ discount is 30% so I purchased it ahead of time.  

Obviously if you’re using the 2 free days, that has to be done onboard.

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

@twangster put together a fantastic spreadsheet that shows you how to get the best price for your Internet package and at what point it is cheaper to buy ahead of time rather than make use of the D+ discount. Perhaps he could repost the link. 

I think the takeaway was that if you forgo internet the first evening (depending on where you are sailing away from it works for a few hours anyways that first night) then buy later on. 

1 hour ago, Andrew72681 said:

I think the takeaway was that if you forgo internet the first evening (depending on where you are sailing away from it works for a few hours anyways that first night) then buy later on. 

It was partly that but he also did these amazing charts that let you work out exactly the sweet point at which you would save money by foregoing the diamond discounts and booking in the cruise planner. I have tried to find the thread but to no avail. Hopefully he will come back and post the link. I was so impressed at the time that I downloaded them for future use. I am going to try to attach one of them here so you can see what I mean, but I'm not sure it will work, so forgive me if it doesn't.

Voom Comparison 1599.pdf

6 hours ago, FionaMG said:

@twangster put together a fantastic spreadsheet that shows you how to get the best price for your Internet package and at what point it is cheaper to buy ahead of time rather than make use of the D+ discount. Perhaps he could repost the link. 

There's also a great voom tip for diamond members outlined here by @twangster 

Cruise hack: Maximize Voom internet discount for Diamond members or above

8 hours ago, FionaMG said:

It was partly that but he also did these amazing charts that let you work out exactly the sweet point at which you would save money by foregoing the diamond discounts and booking in the cruise planner. I have tried to find the thread but to no avail. Hopefully he will come back and post the link. I was so impressed at the time that I downloaded them for future use. I am going to try to attach one of them here so you can see what I mean, but I'm not sure it will work, so forgive me if it doesn't.

Voom Comparison 1599.pdf 36.61 kB · 11 downloads

Thank you it worked fine.