Beaches of Bermuda

Silligan

My husband and I are going on our first cruise together next month - a 5 day on Anthem to Bermuda, so we'll have 2 days on the island.  We've been busy and traveling a lot in the past 6 weeks, so I'm just now getting around to doing some serious planning for our time there.  It's our first time in Bermuda, and we mostly just want to check out the beaches.  Any opinions of the best way to spend two days in Bermuda relaxing on the beach?  From what I've already read, it seems like if we're going to do Horseshoe Bay, we should go on day 2, which is fine, but what's the best place (or places) to go on day one?  We don't mind taking public transportation of any kind, and walking is fine.  Thanks!

A small but nice beach to check out is Tobacco Bay, just outside the town of St. George's. If you take the first ferry there after Anthem docks, it's a relatively easy 1/2 mile walk from the center of town (which itself is maybe a 5-minute walk from the ferry dock). Ask around and you'll get multiple people waving their arms in the general direction of the beach. ?

It is fairly small as beaches go, and I want to say it's a bit rocky when you go into the water (my wife and I went on the spur of the moment and didn't have time to check the water before we had to move on); and from what I've heard the tide levels vary considerably -- you'll see benches there on the side of the beach that are almost fully submerged when the tide is in. But when we found it last October it was practically empty, there was some great Techno-style music playing at the bar/restaurant there, and you can get some food and drinks while enjoying the place. No charge to enter, only have to pay if you want a beach chair / lounger or want to buy some food and drinks.

Once you've had enough of the beach, be sure to take a little time to wander around St. George's -- they have the historic government building right in the town square, there are some historical reenactments done in the early afternoon, lots of craft stores (paintings and prints, sea glass jewelry and decorations, etc.), etc. When you're done, you can either take the ferry back to the dockyard or hop on a bus to go to a different part of the island.

Thank you! I read your anthem trip report from last year (it was great btw!) and your st. George adventure seemed perfect. 

On another note. Do you know what these are? A coworker who used to have business/property in Bermuda gave these to me when she was packing up her classroom at the end of the school year, and said, “these are Bermuda ferry tickets. Maybe you can use them.” But I have no idea if they are valid and what ferry they are for. 

82F28974-3473-41A0-8985-3211CF791A6D.jpeg

You will love Tobacco Bay ..... we were there in October ..... while the walk can be slightly strenuous if you go by the old church (see photo), the sites you'll see are amazing ..... Plus, if you'll go during Low Tide, you can walk way out in the water ...

Oh, and word to the wise, WEAR WATER SHOES!!!  The beach is fantastic, but the surface under the water is a bit rough.

20181028_152632.jpg

It's hard to tell from the coloring, they might be general use tickets or they might be specific to the orange line ferry that goes to St. George's. Since we got the all-day commuter pass the first day, we didn't have tickets like those.

Here's a link to info about the ferry: https://www.bermuda4u.com/transport/ferry-service/

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

It's hard to tell from the coloring, they might be general use tickets or they might be specific to the orange line ferry that goes to St. George's. Since we got the all-day commuter pass the first day, we didn't have tickets like those.

Here's a link to info about the ferry: https://www.bermuda4u.com/transport/ferry-service/

Thanks! I guess I’ll bring them and maybe I’ll be able to tell better when I get there. The coworker who gave them to me moved to Florida at the end of the school year, so I didn’t have time to ask questions!

do I need cash for the ferry/bus tickets, or can I used a credit card? 

Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, Silligan said:

Thanks! I guess I’ll bring them and maybe I’ll be able to tell better when I get there. The coworker who gave them to me moved to Florida at the end of the school year, so I didn’t have time to ask questions!

If possible, find out ahead of time if they'll be valid. If you need to get a transit pass after getting off the ship, you won't want to wait around if you plan to catch that very first ferry to St. George's. Might be easiest to take those tickets with you to the booth on the dock that sells the passes, and just ask the person there if they would still be valid for the orange line ferry.

As you saw in my blog, we barely made that ferry in time after making sure to get off the ship as soon as the doors opened and hightail it to the transit pass booth. If you miss that ferry, it's an hour and a half wait. Not the worst thing in the world, you can explore the dockyard and Clocktower Mall while you wait, but it's really nice to be among those first passengers there right as the town is opening up for the day.

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

If possible, find out ahead of time if they'll be valid. If you need to get a transit pass after getting off the ship, you won't want to wait around if you plan to catch that very first ferry to St. George's. Might be easiest to take those tickets with you to the booth on the dock that sells the passes, and just ask the person there if they would still be valid for the orange line ferry.

As you saw in my blog, we barely made that ferry in time after making sure to get off the ship as soon as the doors opened and hightail it to the transit pass booth. If you miss that ferry, it's an hour and a half wait. Not the worst thing in the world, you can explore the dockyard and Clocktower Mall while you wait, but it's really nice to be among those first passengers there right as the town is opening up for the day.

I saw that. A quick google image search told me nothing about the tickets. I’ll shoot my friend an email before we leave. If they are valid, I assume we can literally head right to the ferry dock. They are definitely yellow/orange in color. I’m wondering though, if they’re actually 14 zone bus tickets from a booklet. Even though she said they were ferry tickets. 

E99D98A0-3456-4F3C-A616-84D84D73E224.png