Closed Loop Cruises out of San Juan

Question .....

Do the same rules apply when it comes to documents needed when going on cruises going out of SJ?  In other words, could you get away with a Birth Certificate, or perhaps the Passport Card vs MUST HAVE A VALID PASSPORT BOOK.

Since it's technically part of the U.S., wasn't sure if the rules were different than, say, going out of Tampa.

Thanks,

Mark

The only cruises where the online check in required a passport book were one-way Alaska (to or from Canada) and transatlantics.  In my experience the on-line check in won't let you check in using inadequate ID for the journey.  

When I did the San Juan Adventure repositioning cruise to Bayonne I checked in with my passport card.  I find cruises easier with passport card when allowed, easy to carry and pull out of a pocket in the terminal like photo ID when flying.  The only time I haven't used my passport card were the times listed above.  

I've never cruised without a passport so have no experience using a birth certificate.

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

The only cruises where the online check in required a passport book were one-way Alaska (to or from Canada) and transatlantics.  In my experience the on-line check in won't let you check in using inadequate ID for the journey.  

When I did the San Juan Adventure repositioning cruise to Bayonne I checked in with my passport card.  I find cruises easier with passport card when allowed, easy to carry and pull out of a pocket in the terminal like photo ID when flying.  The only time I haven't used my passport card were the times listed above.  

I've never cruised without a passport so have no experience using a birth certificate.

Thanks @twangster - that's exactly what we have, Passport Cards.  I'm under the understanding they are as good as a passport book with the exception of not being able to use them as ID for flying...... which is fine for us.  And since PR is part of the US, just using a standard driver's license should be good for flying there.

That's interesting that there seems to be a safeguard in place for the on-line check-in if you have ID that won't work...... I sort of like that.  Better to find out during on-line check in than when you get to port

53 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Since it's technically part of the U.S., wasn't sure if the rules were different than, say, going out of Tampa.

It's not just "technically"  part of the United States. It's a full fledged part of the United States, albeit not a state. Immigration is handled in the same way, by the same agency, as if you were departing/arriving Tampa, Seattle, San Diego, or NYC. For example, once you clear immigration in San Juan, you have free reign within the United States without immigration checks.

1 minute ago, Zacharius said:

It's not just "technically"  part of the United States. It's a full fledged part of the United States, albeit not a state. Immigration is handled in the same way, by the same agency, as if you were departing/arriving Tampa, Seattle, San Diego, or NYC. For example, once you clear immigration in San Juan, you have free reign within the United States without immigration checks.

Thank You ..... That's EXACTLY the answer I was hoping for ...... All three of you were able to provide with the ability to relax and not worry about it, that the Passport Cards will be just fine.

Passport cards have another benefit when flying domestically if your state doesn't participate in enhanced drivers licenses or real ID.  Passport cards are accepted when flying in place of a state DL Real ID.

While the deadline has been pushed around a bit October 2020 is looming and carrying a passport card solves any ambiguity over the matter.  

27 minutes ago, markm said:

Depending on when you travel double check to see if you need a " Real ID complaint drivers license" for you state or another form of government ID to fly domestically 

Fortunately... in Maryland, Real ID deadlines are this coming November, yet we don't sail till March so it won't be an issue for us.