What is your favorite place to stay before a cruise in Fort Lauderdale?

bdchili

Curious....I am looking for two different things, best experience and best value.

As far as BEST EXPERIENCE, I would like some input on Resorts or Hotels that have provided you with an impression of, "Man... I started this Vacation off right and in style".

The BEST VALUE answer doesn't lend itself to cheapest but rather, one that leaves you with a "money well spent" feeling.

Clearly this is subjective and everyone may approach this differently, but I would love to read what you think

B-

We (me, wife & 2 kiddos) found this place to be a good value and close to the dock:

http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/embassy-suites-fort-lauderdale-17th-street-FLLSOES/index.html

I wanted to stay there again for my April cruise but unfortunately they are all booked, so we chose this place:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hilton-fort-lauderdale-marina-FLLGRHH/index.html

It's a big step up pricing wise, but I wanted to be on the ocean…hoping this will be a "best experience" style hotel.

Best Value

For staying in Fort Lauderdale before a cruise I would recommend the Hyatt House Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port for exceptional value. The hotel is 5.4 miles or 7 minutes away from Port Everglades cruise terminals. The hotel is located right off 95 south of Port Everglades.

The Hyatt House is an all suite hotel. Each room features a full kitchen and living area. Rooms are King Suite, 1 bedroom King Suite, 2 bedroom King Suite, 2 bedroom trio (a mix of king and two queen beds). Multiple bedroom suites each have their own bathrooms.

This is a great option if you're cruising with a group and don't want to get separate rooms for everyone. Or if you have kids, you and your kids can have their own bedroom and bathrooms which are all located within the same suite.

A full hot breakfast is included in the room price. The hotel has a gym and a nice pool. Next to the Hyatt House is a Hyatt Place which is slightly more upscale, and also more expensive. The hotel is located across the road from many restaurants and stores.

Hyatt House - 90 Southwest 18th Avenue Dania Beach, Florida, USA, 33004

http://www.fortlauderdaleairportsouth.house.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

Best Resort

For staying in Fort Lauderdale and looking for a resort experience I would recommend the Hyatt Regency Pier 66. The hotel sits near the 17th Street bridge and offers magnificent views of Port Everglades.

The Hyatt Regency Pier 66 features many different room types including standard and suites. Rooms are available in the tower (more expensive - views of Port Everglades) and surrounding the pool. The Hyatt Regency Pier 66 has several restaurants and a resort style pool.

If you have the money to spend and want to watch the ships sail in early in the morning or be right by the action for sail away, this is the hotel for you.

Hyatt Regency Pier 66 - 2301 S.E. 17 Street, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA, 33316

http://pier66.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

• 3 months later...

Hi -

Best Romantic and worth a look is "THE PILLARS" hotel.  On the inter-coastal and they do offer shuttles etc to get to the Port.  Very nice staff and they are central in the beach area and a great romantic hotel check them out.  I often go south as well to stay at the WESTIN down off the AIA more in Dania Beach.    Easy, but not cheap is the Embassy Suites - nightly happy hour and great breakfast and you can buy a shuttle pass day of your cruise for about $8 per person as of last year. Also right around the corner from the Embassy Suites is a Total Wine shop, we walk to and pick up wine before boarding.

Holiday Inn Express, off 17th street is one of the best values.

We drove to FLL a couple years ago for a 10 day New Years cruise and booked the Homewood Suites in Dania beach, FL, which included free parking for the duration of the cruise and shuttle service to Port Everglades. It was a very nice suite hotel and included many extras. http://www.hwsfllairport.com/

When we fly in the Hyatt Pier 66 is our favorite, mainly because of the great location.

We stay at the Marriott Harbor Beach whenever possible, whether its before or after a cruise or weekend in Fort Lauderdale. It can be expensive, but the resort is gorgeous... paradise. You can walk about 10 minutes down the beach and watch the ships sail from the rocky area in front of the condo complexes. It's about 5 minutes drive from the pier. 

Another place that we like and can occasionally snag a deal is the Westin Beach Resort. Its a little farther down Las Olas.

We've also had good experiences with the Embassy Suites if we have an afternoon arrival and just need a place to sleep and shower pre-cruise. It's right there by the port.