Jump to content

Concierge on Grandeur of the Seas


Recommended Posts

My husband and I are scheduled to cruise out of Baltimore on the Grandeur of the Seas for 5 nights in May. We haven’t cruised in over 10 years and so much has changed! I’ve read all kinds of helpful info on this forum, so I thought I would check in here for advice. 

We have splurged on a grand suite and have questions about the concierge service. I’ve gotten mixed information about whether we should expect an email in advance of the cruise from the concierge offering to help with things like dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants, etc. Does anyone know if we should expect an email in advance, and if so when? If not, does the concierge have certain hours in the concierge lounge?  Do those start on the first day?Thanks for any advice on this topic!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, we have always gotten an email from the Grandeur Concierge prior to boarding.  I have been getting emails about 5 days prior.  We used to get them about a week ahead but lately it's been a bit closer.

Frances was the Concierge on Grandeur the last time we sailed.  He is a great Concierge.

The Grand Suite on Grandeur is a very nice step up.  You will definitely appreciate the extra space - very noticeable on that ship.  The only complaint I have about all of the big suites on the Vision class ships is that they are all shoved way up at the front of the ship.  I also noticed a lot of noise from the Windjammer on our Christmas/NY cruise last year. ...but we love the suites on Grandeur.

Enjoy your cruise !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes, we have always gotten an email from the Grandeur Concierge prior to boarding.  I have been getting emails about 5 days prior.  We used to get them about a week ahead but lately it's been a bit closer.

Frances was the Concierge on Grandeur the last time we sailed.  He is a great Concierge.

The Grand Suite on Grandeur is a very nice step up.  You will definitely appreciate the extra space - very noticeable on that ship.  The only complaint I have about all of the big suites on the Vision class ships is that they are all shoved way up at the front of the ship.  I also noticed a lot of noise from the Windjammer on our Christmas/NY cruise last year. ...but we love the suites on Grandeur.

Enjoy your cruise !!

Thank you for this info! So glad to know you’ve enjoyed the suites on the Grandeur. After we booked I noticed how close we were to the Windjammer above and wondered if we might have noise issues. Hopefully all the other good things about the suite will balance that out. One additional question about the concierge: if we believe the service is especially good, is it appropriate to tip? I know it isn’t required, but we do plan to have some cash on hand for tips. Thanks again for the great information!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have heard that Carlington has taken over for Francis.  I can neither confirm/nor deny since I haven't been on Grandeur since end of Dec when Francis helped us have a great time.  So just parroting what I have heard.

 

As for tipping that is always a hot topic.  Francis on the Grandeur and Wendy (Genie) on Anthem I tip with a large bill when I met them and another one when we left.  Is it too small?  Is it too large?  Who the heck knows....it's what I did and I felt perfectly fine doing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

I have heard that Carlington has taken over for Francis.  I can neither confirm/nor deny since I haven't been on Grandeur since end of Dec when Francis helped us have a great time.  So just parroting what I have heard.

 

As for tipping that is always a hot topic.  Francis on the Grandeur and Wendy (Genie) on Anthem I tip with a large bill when I met them and another one when we left.  Is it too small?  Is it too large?  Who the heck knows....it's what I did and I felt perfectly fine doing it.

I like this tipping advice. We’ll do what we can do and be fine with it. Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dodgestang said:

I have heard that Carlington has taken over for Francis.  I can neither confirm/nor deny since I haven't been on Grandeur since end of Dec when Francis helped us have a great time.  So just parroting what I have heard.

That sounds very likely. Carlington was in the DL when we were on in Dec.  He is also very good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

A few questions:

1. We are travelling with our 5 & 7 year olds and have purchased the 3 day dining package for just myself & my husband. When Concierge e-mail us before the cruise, can they add our kids to our dining reservations at that time? Can they make reservations for us then, or do we still need to wait until we are on the ship? I am just concerned that on the 1st night, we won't be able to get a dining option with our kids as we have only bought a package for 2 people. 

2. Can we board the ship on embarkation day at any time, or are we given a specific time to board? 

3. When do they announce beverage tastings and can they be orgainised through concierge? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Penny said:

1. We are travelling with our 5 & 7 year olds and have purchased the 3 day dining package for just myself & my husband. When Concierge e-mail us before the cruise, can they add our kids to our dining reservations at that time? Can they make reservations for us then, or do we still need to wait until we are on the ship? I am just concerned that on the 1st night, we won't be able to get a dining option with our kids as we have only bought a package for 2 people. 

Yes.  The concierge can make the reservation for 4 people.  Then you just pay the extra $10/child when you eat the the restaurant.

2 hours ago, Penny said:

2. Can we board the ship on embarkation day at any time, or are we given a specific time to board? 

The assigned times are not enforced.  You can board any time after boarding is open.  Usually around 11:00am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...