Corkscrews???

deep1

I don't drink but no problem with others that do.  (I was an expert).  My hyperhot sweetie (I use full description in case she reads this) enjoys a glass of wine now and then.  I understand that we are allowed two bottles of 750ml or less. No problem. More than likely it will be just one... I read the instructions and they suggest you put it in your carry on bag otherwise they won't deliver your other bags to room if its in them. Kind a weird but its their boat and their rules. The part I haven't been able to find is how they feel about corkscrews going through security. Most good wine to my understanding  comes in corked bottles. Thus the requirement of a corkscrew. Now if they do take exception to the curly implement of vino release that leaves me with plan B. That would be to choose a vintage cabernet with a distinctive screw cap. I'd rather go cork and keep the quality up as opposed to the normal red stained bilge water they sell in the screw cap bottles. Any input?

Your stateroom attendant will be happy to supply you with a corkscrew and glasses, just ask on embarkation day.  

As someone who's worked for a winery, I can assure you that you can get delicious wine with a screw top.  In fact, the cost of real cork is greater than synthetic or screw caps, so many wineries are changing to them as money savers. 

25 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Your stateroom attendant will be happy to supply you with a corkscrew and glasses, just ask on embarkation day.  

As someone who's worked for a winery, I can assure you that you can get delicious wine with a screw top.  In fact, the cost of real cork is greater than synthetic or screw caps, so many wineries are changing to them as money savers. 

I hopes so... Last time I opened a screw top wine bottle I'm pretty sure I could see vapor trails like the cartoons emanating from it... ?

There was a cork shortage a few years that caused the industry to re-think the use of cork.  Truth is cork causes a lot of spoilage that doesn't occur with a screw top.  Yet for nostalgia reasons cork ironically is seen as meaning better when in fact from a technical perspective it may not be.  

Screw top is very common in certain countries that have some great wine.  Australia and New Zealand come to mind.  Synthetic corks were introduced to appease the wine elitist.

Personally I find wine that has a screw top to bring on board.  It's just easier and if you know your wines very enjoyable.  Yes you can ask your cabin attendant for a cork screw.  

Side story - With friends who own a cabin cruiser, we stop at a nice marina for the night on the east coast.  Beautiful evening sitting at the marina's outdoor restaurant we have a young college student as our waitress.  She is struggling with her cork screw attempting to open our wine as she answers questions about the menu.  Seeing this young girl struggle I offer to assist which she gladly accepts.  Upon her handing the bottle to me I instantly see the issue.  It's a screw top!  With one twist I hand it back to her and offer "here you go".  The look on her face was priceless.  She and the rest of the table enjoyed a good laugh... and a very nice bottle of (expensive) wine.  

We enjoy a South African wine that uses a screw top.  We're red wine drinkers, enjoying the deep, full bodied reds that have aged a few years.  I can find them with screw tops with no problem.  The bottle with the vapor trails was either cheap wine (which you can get the same vinegar-ness with corks) or improperly stored.  

Ask at the liquor store, they will be happy to help you. 

8 hours ago, deep1 said:

I hopes so... Last time I opened a screw top wine bottle I'm pretty sure I could see vapor trails like the cartoons emanating from it... ?