Taking my 9 year old on first cruise!!

Brian

I am between the Liberty and Disney Magic ships in the month of May. Price wise it's Liberty of course but.....with the refurbish on the liberty with all the slides and kids pool area, any way I can get away with that over the Disney ship. Disney would be a 4 nighter compared with the 7 night Liberty.......let me have it on comments!!!! LOL

BRIAN

Don't forget that Liberty of the Seas does have Dreamworks, so there would be character interactions that your 9 year old might enjoy.  Royal Caribbean's kid's program is good, too; my boys have really enjoyed themselves in it and were sad when they outgrew the program.

I would think that lower cost and more nights would win.

Note: I've not sailed Disney before and am a very content Royal Caribbean cruiser.

My son is 9 and has been on 13 cruises; 2 with RCI and 3 with Disney. When the price of the Disney Wonder dropped out of Galveston, I gave him the choice between Disney and Royal; he said he'd rather go on Royal. If your son was younger, I'd probably say Disney. My wife, however, prefers Disney even though she's not a Disney fan, but thinks they're over-priced for what you get.

Given that the price is cheaper, the new water slides, and a longer cruise, I'd recommend Royal. You might also want to look at the podcast link as Matt had an episode with Len Testa comparing the two lines.

If you'd like specifics, I'd be happy to provide them.

totally agree with Liberty - value for your money and its going to be a great-er ship in my opinion. One of my favorites

anyway but I do think your 9 year old would really like it!     And again I think the entertainment staff on this ship

is my favorite for all the RCI ships that I have been on - meaning the cruise director and shows at night and

that goes along way when you are on a sailing for 7 days!   Happy to help you !

My 8 1/2 year old has done 2 cruise disney & carnival. This summer will be her first royal cruise. What she mentions the most is her excitement to get back on a big boat, swim and visit new islands. The new marketing commercial caught her eye with people swimming in ocean. She hardly mentions the character interactions from Disney anymore. I think as a parent I got more jazzed about meeting Mickey and taking pictures with the Disney crew.

My 8 1/2 year old has done 2 cruise disney & carnival. This summer will be her first royal cruise. What she mentions the most is her excitement to get back on a big boat, swim and visit new islands. The new marketing commercial caught her eye with people swimming in ocean. She hardly mentions the character interactions from Disney anymore. I think as a parent I got more jazzed about meeting Mickey and taking pictures with the Disney crew.

First, my kids call it the "big boat" too.  Too funny.

Also, I think character photos are way more a parent thing.  We have some great photos with the Dreamworks characters onboard.  And they NEVER have the crazy lines the Disney characters do.

I am between the Liberty and Disney Magic ships in the month of May. Price wise it's Liberty of course but.....with the refurbish on the liberty with all the slides and kids pool area, any way I can get away with that over the Disney ship. Disney would be a 4 nighter compared with the 7 night Liberty.......let me have it on comments!!!! LOL

BRIAN

My (now) 6 and 8 year olds *l*o*v*e* Adventure Ocean... it's a factor in cruise decision making.

My family has done 3 Disney cruises and have LOVED all of them, but the price hikes is starting to turn me away. Hubby and I did Royal Caribbean in 2006 (Enchantment) pre kids, and we loved it. Looking at Liberty now for the Feb 7 Cruise. I see that the new slides should be ready to go then. Is that still the case? Just curious if anyone knows. 

My family has done 3 Disney cruises and have LOVED all of them, but the price hikes is starting to turn me away. Hubby and I did Royal Caribbean in 2006 (Enchantment) pre kids, and we loved it. Looking at Liberty now for the Feb 7 Cruise. I see that the new slides should be ready to go then. Is that still the case? Just curious if anyone knows. 

Welcome to RC. You will find a lot of ex-DCL folks here (myself included).

Yes, the slides (and many other changes) will be added during a month-long refurbishment in January 2016.  You can read all about it here: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/10/09/royal-caribbean-announces-details-liberty-of-the-seas-refurbishment-including-new