Brilliance - Specialty Restaurant Changes?

pepperandchips

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie with only one sailing behind me, but so excited to be headed on board Brilliance in April for a 5 night sailing. In my cruise planner, Giovanni's isn't listed as serving lunch, and recent Cruise Compass copies from Brilliance don't show Giovanni's available for lunch either. We were looking forward to Lasagna. Anyone have recent experience and can confirm? Also it looks like they are offering a prepaid meal at Izumi for $49.99 with a fixed menu - one starter, one nigiri or sashimi, one roll/ramen, and dessert. We are planning on doing the Ultimate Dining Package so it's not a big deal to me if they've changed the price but I know my husband was looking forward to trying a few different sushi rolls. Anyone know what's up? Is the cruise planner wrong or did they make a change?

Thanks in advance!!!

I feel like Giovanni's being open for lunch varies greatly, depending on the passenger demographic and staff availability. And often they don't make the decision to be open until a few days prior. I've eaten lunch at Giovanni's on nearly every cruise in the past 4 years, but never scheduled it until 1-2 days prior.

14 minutes ago, KristiZ said:

I feel like Giovanni's being open for lunch varies greatly, depending on the passenger demographic and staff availability. And often they don't make the decision to be open until a few days prior. I've eaten lunch at Giovanni's on nearly every cruise in the past 4 years, but never scheduled it until 1-2 days prior.

That's good to hear! I will keep my hopes up in that case. 

14 hours ago, pepperandchips said:

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie with only one sailing behind me, but so excited to be headed on board Brilliance in April for a 5 night sailing. In my cruise planner, Giovanni's isn't listed as serving lunch, and recent Cruise Compass copies from Brilliance don't show Giovanni's available for lunch either. We were looking forward to Lasagna. Anyone have recent experience and can confirm? Also it looks like they are offering a prepaid meal at Izumi for $49.99 with a fixed menu - one starter, one nigiri or sashimi, one roll/ramen, and dessert. We are planning on doing the Ultimate Dining Package so it's not a big deal to me if they've changed the price but I know my husband was looking forward to trying a few different sushi rolls. Anyone know what's up? Is the cruise planner wrong or did they make a change?

Thanks in advance!!!

We'll also be on Brilliance in April ..... what's the date of your sailing?

15 hours ago, pepperandchips said:

Giovanni's isn't listed as serving lunch, and recent Cruise Compass copies from Brilliance don't show Giovanni's available for lunch either.

My understanding is that Giovannis serves lunch only on one of the sea days (on the 4 night sailing anyway).  It's not open every sea day for lunch. Granted, I did not personally verify this.

15 hours ago, pepperandchips said:

Also it looks like they are offering a prepaid meal at Izumi for $49.99 with a fixed menu - one starter, one nigiri or sashimi, one roll/ramen, and dessert. We are planning on doing the Ultimate Dining Package so it's not a big deal to me if they've changed the price but I know my husband was looking forward to trying a few different sushi rolls. Anyone know what's up?

That fixed price option is not for the dining package. It's just a pre-cruise only bookable option.  Since you have the dining package, you will be able to sample anything on the menu, up to $35 per person.  So your husband's plan will still work.  So in essence, ignore that fixed price option.

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

My understanding is that Giovannis serves lunch only on one of the sea days (on the 4 night sailing anyway).  It's not open every sea day for lunch. Granted, I did not personally verify this.

That fixed price option is not for the dining package. It's just a pre-cruise only bookable option.  Since you have the dining package, you will be able to sample anything on the menu, up to $35 per person.  So your husband's plan will still work.  So in essence, ignore that fixed price option.

Thank you, Matt! I blame you and Michael Poole for the sudden burning desire to try Giovanni's lasagna ? The most recent Brilliance Cruise Compass for our itinerary (October 15, 2018) doesn't show Giovanni's serving lunch even on sea days. Nor do the September 17, 2018 Compass or the December 17, 2017 Compass. I know you love sailing on her for the long weekend 4 nighters - do you recall if Giovanni's has been open for lunch even when it's not listed in the Cruise Compass? I am planning to use your strategy of booking all our dining immediately upon embarkation so I'd like to have an idea of what to ask for! And thank you for putting in all the work of hosting those Cruise Compasses. They are invaluable for a planning nerd like me.

3 hours ago, coneyraven said:

We'll also be on Brilliance in April ..... what's the date of your sailing?

April 1 - Husband is a teacher so we are on the spring break schedule. I see you are sailing later in the month and a historical fan of the Grandeur. We are looking forward to trying a smaller ship as our prior sailing on Freedom felt like she was "too big" and now they are ordering tons of huge ships!!! We of course already have Nachi Cocom booked as well, that was the selling point on this itinerary for me. I loved it when we went in 2015! Our other port is Key West.

49 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I hope the lasagna at Giovanni’s on Brilliance is better than the lasagna at Jamies on Anthem. Dan said his tasted like meat loaf wrapped in lasagna noodles !

Yikes! Maybe I should lower my expectations. Personally I have yet to meet a lasagna I didn't like, but my husband's family is Italian so the bar is a bit higher with him. I do like meatloaf though... haha.