Voom needed for simple wifi app's?

When we're in port, we won't need them to be able to text with us, since they'll be with us the whole time.  If they do need (or want) WiFi in port, they'll need to connect to a restaurant or something like that, similar to what they do at home.  It'll just be on the ship while sailing that I want to make sure they can send and receive text messages in case they go exploring so we can communicate with them.  

If you want to use your texting app, I think you will need a Voom package.  Are you sailing on Allure?  If so, this is what I found on the description for the RC app.  

We’re now actively testing our new guest-to-guest chat feature on Allure of the Seas®, with this addition coming to more ships soon. Our new feature allows guests to connect with other staterooms, and freely chat with friends and family onboard.

I don't know how well it will work and you would have to download the app for each phone before you go.  Personally, I would still buy a VOOM packages prior to boarding on sale.  I've purchased VOOM for 4 for $19.99 and $26.99 on sale for my next 2 cruises.  I think would be cheaper or at least a similar price than buying Surf for 2 devices onboard.  You can always cancel and get a refund for the remaining days onboard if the RC App works for your needs.

For simple texting using wifi you will need a Voom plan.  

There are two plans, Surf or Surf and Stream.  For simple texting Surf is fine.  Often that can only be purchased on board although it is sometimes available for purchase precruise.

Surf and Stream allows streaming TV and movies and is always available for purchase precruise.  

Voom is always cheaper precruise unless you are Diamond or higher in the Crown & Anchor society.