Harmony of the Seas

SMM799

Hi All.....

I am hoping you all can help me with my questions.  My family and my brothers' family are hoping to cruise on the Harmony next June 2019.  My brother uses a wheelchair.  How accessible are things for someone traveling in a wheelchair on the ship?  Also, our ports of call are Roatan, CocoCay, Cozumel and Costa Maya.  How accessible are those ports?  Are there any special touring companies that offer accessible tours?

Thanks so much!

-Sue

2 hours ago, SMM799 said:

Hi All.....

I am hoping you all can help me with my questions.  My family and my brothers' family are hoping to cruise on the Harmony next June 2019.  My brother uses a wheelchair.  How accessible are things for someone traveling in a wheelchair on the ship?  Also, our ports of call are Roatan, CocoCay, Cozumel and Costa Maya.  How accessible are those ports?  Are there any special touring companies that offer accessible tours?

Thanks so much!

-Sue

Hi Sue,  like Kathy said we cruise often with our son in a wheelchair. We have sailed Harmony, and the ship itself is very accessible. The accessible cabins are large and easily  maneuverable . All common areas will be no problem navigating. You may run into the occasional area he can not get to with maybe a few stairs or something, but for the most  part he will be good. I would  recommend going to any dining room or specialty  restaurants that you will be eating at and make sure they are aware that you require a table for a wheelchair user that is easily accessed. Sometimes they pack people in and it is very hard to  maneuver through the crowds. Bring your  patients  With the elevators. It can be pretty crazy, people can be very rude. Nothing that Im sure yoir brother hasn't already encoutered. Make sure when going to Muster drill that you stay out of the crowd of people  lining up, they will realease your brother before anyone else, go as quickly as possible to the elevators if you need one,  or you will not get one for a VERY long time, or just plan to stay put for a while where you are. 

As far as entertainment on the ship....I am not certain of your brothers level of mobility, but if he is not able to walk at all or take any stairs  certain things will not be accessible. Ie: water slides, abyss slide, zip line sadly there is no elevator to get up to these things so wont be able to do. There is a ramp to get to the back sports area to see the flow rider and other fun stuff back there. Plan to get to the theaters or any shows VERY  early. There is very limited accessible seating, (very last row in the theaters) and it goes quickly. Able bodied people sit there and unfortuatley Royal  doesn’t enforce it being for special needs cruisers. 

As far a excursions... Royal unfortunatly has very limited accessible excursions. Mostly  just tours of the town and shopping. Again a lot is determined by your brothers mobility. Is he able to transfer into a van or taxi? My son is able to, so we can venture out. You will have better luck wih private tours. We have found accessible  parasailing , snorkling, boat tours. Just have to really do your homework. A lot of  research. We have found that almost all port areas around the ship are accessible, maybe a few issues with curb cuts, but workable. We have been to several of the ports you mention, if you let me know your brothers limitations and interests  I will try to help you find something fun to do. If you have any more specific questions I am so happy to help you. I know how difficult and  intimidating travel can be with special needs. Royal does have a special needs  department that can be helpful if you have any special requests like extension cords or shower chairs that type of thing. Hope this helped! 

2 hours ago, KathyC aka KathLuvsGH said:

My friend Laura has been on Harmony with her son who is in a wheelchair.  I'll tell her about your question so she can come answer it for you.  

Thanks so much!

1 hour ago, Laurac22 said:

Hi Sue,  like Kathy said we cruise often with our son in a wheelchair. We have sailed Harmony, and the ship itself is very accessible. The accessible cabins are large and easily  maneuverable . All common areas will be no problem navigating. You may run into the occasional area he can not get to with maybe a few stairs or something, but for the most  part he will be good. I would  recommend going to any dining room or specialty  restaurants that you will be eating at and make sure they are aware that you require a table for a wheelchair user that is easily accessed. Sometimes they pack people in and it is very hard to  maneuver through the crowds. Bring your  patients  With the elevators. It can be pretty crazy, people can be very rude. Nothing that Im sure yoir brother hasn't already encoutered. Make sure when going to Muster drill that you stay out of the crowd of people  lining up, they will realease your brother before anyone else, go as quickly as possible to the elevators if you need one,  or you will not get one for a VERY long time, or just plan to stay put for a while where you are. 

As far as entertainment on the ship....I am not certain of your brothers level of mobility, but if he is not able to walk at all or take any stairs  certain things will not be accessible. Ie: water slides, abyss slide, zip line sadly there is no elevator to get up to these things so wont be able to do. There is a ramp to get to the back sports area to see the flow rider and other fun stuff back there. Plan to get to the theaters or any shows VERY  early. There is very limited accessible seating, (very last row in the theaters) and it goes quickly. Able bodied people sit there and unfortuatley Royal  doesn’t enforce it being for special needs cruisers. 

As far a excursions... Royal unfortunatly has very limited accessible excursions. Mostly  just tours of the town and shopping. Again a lot is determined by your brothers mobility. Is he able to transfer into a van or taxi? My son is able to, so we can venture out. You will have better luck wih private tours. We have found accessible  parasailing , snorkling, boat tours. Just have to really do your homework. A lot of  research. We have found that almost all port areas around the ship are accessible, maybe a few issues with curb cuts, but workable. We have been to several of the ports you mention, if you let me know your brothers limitations and interests  I will try to help you find something fun to do. If you have any more specific questions I am so happy to help you. I know how difficult and  intimidating travel can be with special needs. Royal does have a special needs  department that can be helpful if you have any special requests like extension cords or shower chairs that type of thing. Hope this helped! 

Thanks so much for your help!  Yes, I would love for suggestions for your excursions.  We usually pretty much sight see and he would like to go to the beach.  He does need to remain in his wheelchair.  He can transfer, but does not have any use of his legs.  Any help you can provide would be great!  Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 5:51 PM, SMM799 said:

Hi All.....

Thanks so much!

-Sue

Hello, I am new to this blog been reading it for more less then a week french speaking so bare with my english

for your question Sue., on the Harmony been there last september  while IRMa was giving trouble to earth people .....

I am using a scooter and was afraid of not having fun or places to go while on board 

there is plenty of places to see and managing is easy......

people are very nice when they see scooter or whellchair they let you get into elevator

NO PROBLEM and you do not have to wait long I never did.....

for onshore you have priority my dear staff sees a whellchair or scooter you are treated like ROYALTY

rest assure even if you have to take a smaller boat to get on land they is PLACES

for every one I was scared first time but not anymore they really take GOOD care and they reassure you........

I can walk short distance so it is easier embarking and disbarking but it is ok aswell for others that can not........

I do not recall the name of the place I think it is cosumel they even have wheelchair that goes on the beach

if the person can transfert to it it is not motorise but my husband said it is easy to push in the sand FANTASTIC

for onshore excursions you look it up with onboard staff that book excursions they do have places to go 

and if you take time to cruise the net and verify on every place you are stoping they mention accessible tour

I even saw a boat tour to see wild life like scooba people do accessible to whellchair it does cost money but hey!!! 

sorry for the long post

ps went on Amthen of the seas and it is same fantastic cruise help 

Lynda from Quebec 

• 4 months later...

Hi thank you for insight on wheel chair information. From when I booked, to now ( my cruise in June 16th with HOTS) I am in a wheel chair & am working on walking. I did find out that at Cococay, there are specific wheelchairs that wheel in the sand, however you must have someone push you& the crew will not assist. The only excursion I felt comfortable with was a cabana, that  is a very high fee. I am hoping to be walking well enough to get on a catamaran in Roatan while the rest of my party try the BOSS underwater.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, SMM799 said:

How accessible are things for someone traveling in a wheelchair on the ship? 

Hello Sue! Here is an episode from the Royal Caribbean Blog podcast that @Matt makes about wheelchair accessibility on Royal Caribbean ships in general.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-263-wheelchair-accessibility-royal-caribbean