dining attire

mcfam123

Generally speaking, the bare minimum is a collared shirt and long pants.  Suggested dress ranges from casual, to smart/resort casual, to formal, the later of which might include a suit or a tux.  And while jeans were once frowned upon, other than ripped jeans seem acceptable by today's standards.

Personally, I no longer pack a suit or a sports coat.  On formal night, I go with a tie, dress shirt, and dress pants only.  Sometimes I'll add a vest.  The only cruise line that I needed a jacket on was Holland America; however, it sounds like coats might be required at the formal restaurant on the Quantum class ships. 

Generally the attire is trending more and more casual.

If you want to dress up more you certainly can though.

I have increasingly gone with jeans and polo on non-formal nights and slacks and a button down shirt for formal night. If my wife is good with it (which she is), I am not bringing more dressy clothing than I need and Royal doesnt seem to have any opinion on it, so casual is better for me.

Dress codes or dress suggestions, Matt?

In theory they are codes. In practice, they are suggestions.  Certain rules are steadfast: no bathing suits, cover ups, tank tops or something else you will find on the pool deck in the main dining room.

But the rules tend to be in-frequently enforced in terms of if shorts, t-shirts and other more casual clothing is okay.  

If you ask me, the issue is not the rules but Royal Caribbean's lack of consistently enforcing the rules.  

In theory they are codes. In practice, they are suggestions.  Certain rules are steadfast: no bathing suits, cover ups, tank tops or something else you will find on the pool deck in the main dining room.

But the rules tend to be in-frequently enforced in terms of if shorts, t-shirts and other more casual clothing is okay.  

If you ask me, the issue is not the rules but Royal Caribbean's lack of consistently enforcing the rules.

This is an industry trend: lack of enforcement. I'm guessing that except for very posh restaraunts, most cruise lines will go to resort casual every day like Disney and all-inclusive resorts have done where long pants, closed toed shoes, and a collared shirt are the only expectation.

RCI is already more casual than that though Doc, I have done shorts on more than one night (with collared shirt) on our most recent cruise and not even gotten a look from anyone walking in.

Not trying to be disruptive but it was the S Caribbean itinerary with a port stop every day and we were off the boat most of every day. Early dinner and getting back on board late afternoon, I figured I would try not changing and if the staff doesn't enforce anything ... no one can tell once I sit down anyway :)

I think it pissed off our tablemates though ... mostly because his wife made him dress up and mine didn't. By the end of the cruise he was comfortable and casual too !

What me I haven't worn shorts are o to he MDR on Royal, I'll admit to doing it once again n Disney as we returned late from a ship's excursion and I didn't have time for o change since we had early seating dinner. This was before their more casual dress code and they also didn't seem to care.

I do feel for the MDR staff, though. I often wonder if lack of enforcement results from a concern over poor evaluations from guests on the post cruise survey.

I am cruising in a couple of weeks on RC and I plan to wear nice pressed shorts and a collared buttondown shirt to dinner every night except the nights I have specialty dining reservations.  Does anyone know of a specific instance where anyone has been denied entry to the dining room for wearing shorts.

I am cruising in a couple of weeks on RC and I plan to wear nice pressed shorts and a collared buttondown shirt to dinner every night except the nights I have specialty dining reservations.  Does anyone know of a specific instance where anyone has been denied entry to the dining room for wearing shorts.

My husband almost always wears nice shorts and a Caribbean shirt or some kind of collared shirt to the MDR. The one and only time (in 20+ cruises) where he has been asked to put on long pants was 1 time on a "formal" night. I think we were on either the Radiance or the Jewel...one of the Radiance class ships. Since that time, we have never tried to go to the MDR on formal nights in shorts again. So I think they will NOT turn you away as long as you are not sloppy...no ball caps, T-shirts, etc. As long as you make an attempt to "clean up" I don't think they are likely to say a darned thing.

Men should definitely have long pants and a collared shirt for formal nights, but don't worry about packing a tie or a jacket.  Yes, some people will be in tuxes but most others will not.  You can wear the same thing for both formal nights - nobody cares.   I live in the south and never, never, never wear closed shoes. Never. Pretty sandals and a quality pedicure are always my shoe of choice, for weddings or meeting the Pope or formal nights.