Victoria BC

crzycatldy5

I am starting to get nervous about timing for getting off Explorer in Victoria.  I booked a whale watching tour independently.  We are due to be in port at 9:00 that day.  The tour is at 10:15 but they want you there 30 minutes before the tour starts.  It is about 30 minutes walk from the ship.  Is it reasonable to hope we get off the ship within around 15 minutes for this port?  If that does not happen, are there plenty of cabs waiting as you get off the ship?  I would rather walk because I think the walk along the wharf will be nice but will take a car if we have to.  Thank you for any advice you may have.

Welcome to the message boards!

My bet is they have scheduled the tour knowing that the majority of participants will be ship guests.  They have chosen a time to start the tour based on having done this many times in the past and their experiences with getting their customers from the ship to their base. 

You might contact the tour operator directly and talk it through with them.  They know their home town, the walk and if a cab would be better.  

Since you're ducked and it's a walk off port, I think you'll be fine as long as the ship makes it to port and gets cleared in time. In my experience, though, the ship almost always pass their own schedules and shows guests off a few minutes earlier than posted. In addition, the tour operator likely wants people there early to account for people running late, handle payment, liability waivers, and the like. 

Calling isn't a bad idea either as previously suggested; that way the tour operator is aware especially if you are running late for some reason. 

4 minutes ago, DocLC said:

@KLAconQueso That's a Canadian term. ?

Afterall, their dollars are named after birds and they have Loonies and Twoonies. 

Note to self: proof read autocorrect when half asleep in bed. 

I mean... it could have been a worse auto correct if you missed a letter there at the beginning. ?

5 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

I mean... it could have been a worse auto correct if you missed a letter there at the beginning. ?

Something like that happened during one of Matt's Periscopes. It almost got me blocked before he saw who posted it. ?

Thanks everyone.  I am going to pay in full before we leave so there is less to do when we get there and contact them to let them know when we dock so they will be aware that we may be cutting it close.  I was just having one of those 3 am worry sessions where I panicked that I wouldn't get off the ship quickly and there wouldn't be any transportation waiting by the time I got off.  I also wondered how I am going to fit all the necessary footwear and bulky warm clothing in carry-ons too.  I am one of those weirdos that refuses to check bags.

5 minutes ago, crzycatldy5 said:

Thanks everyone.  I am going to pay in full before we leave so there is less to do when we get there and contact them to let them know when we dock so they will be aware that we may be cutting it close.  I was just having one of those 3 am worry sessions where I panicked that I wouldn't get off the ship quickly and there wouldn't be any transportation waiting by the time I got off.  I also wondered how I am going to fit all the necessary footwear and bulky warm clothing in carry-ons too.  I am one of those weirdos that refuses to check bags.

Wear your bulkiest clothes onto the plane with you. You can always take them off and lay them on top of the carry-on bags in the overhead bins once all the luggage is stored. Also, it all about layers. For your legs, I'd recommend a thin pair of thermals; that way, you don't need bulky paints. For the top, a fleece and a lightweight waterproof layer should be sufficient.

2 minutes ago, crzycatldy5 said:

I do plan on wearing some of my bulkiest things on the plane.  Paring down what I want to take is probably going to be the key though.  Do you thing my hiking shoes will look good with my dinner dress? ?

Sure, why not! In all of the threads I've read on MDR attire, I've rarely seen shoes mentioned. It usually comes down to whether shorts and/or t-shirts are being worn.

If you wear your hiking shoes with a summer dress, you'll probably just be seen as "cool" or "trendy." ?