More on Tipping

poider

I still am a little miffed about the whole tipping scenario.

We are forced to pay tips with our prepaid tips prior to even boarding the ship, if we pre purchase a drinks package we also pre pay more tips, if we buy a drink at the bar we also pay a tip.

So why are we still 'encouraged' to pay more, example envelopes handed out on last night, head waiters telling us how gratuities tell them how good they are even a friend had the stateroom attendant relating to them as to his poor sick family under pressure to attend bad schools etc.

We should be given the simplest option...either have tips added to appropriately pay the staff, and have no mention ever made of it or give the customer the sole right and discretion to distribute tips as we see fit.

I feel that we pay enough money to expect the level of service that we received, if some people need more service then the rest then they should be the ones paying additional tips.

Peter

Thanks for Sharing your opinion about tipping Peter. I think tipping is one of the greatest concern for new cruisers like me. 

I think having the stateroom attendant complaning about the poor quality of life of is family is in country of origin is something we don't need to ear while on vacation at sea. Just like many other cruisers I've saved $$ for months to get this vacation, so I totally agree with you.

That's my thought, we were told by the travel agent that tips are part of the cost, so obviously we had to make sure to save that money, it is a bit rough, after exhausting all avenues to get enough money to enjoy the cruise, to then have it made blatantly obvious that we are expected to leave extra gratuities.

Peter

Thanks for Sharing your opinion about tipping Peter. I think tipping is one of the greatest concern for new cruisers like me. 

I think having the stateroom attendant complaning about the poor quality of life of is family is in country of origin is something we don't need to ear while on vacation at sea. Just like many other cruisers I've saved $$ for months to get this vacation, so I totally agree with you.

I can tell you they won't talk about their home life unless you ask.  In fact, I can't recall a crew member giving me a "sob story" about their life back home. Many are proud of their homes and do what they can to support their families.

I will also tell you not to worry about tipping in terms of concerns.  With the automatic tips now, there's nothing to think about really and I wouldn't let it get in the way of taking a fun vacation!

I haven't been pressured to tip extra, although I have on occasion for good service. However, I have been pressured/encouraged to give ratings on the cruise survey due to stated hardship. For example, on the Jewel, our steward pleaded for the highest ratings as she wanted to promote so that she could get new cabin assignments as hers were split on either side of the centrum. Fortunately, she was good, so it wasn't a problem. However, being put in that situation was awkward.

On our first cruise, with the old style envelopes at the end of trip, I did feel a bit pressured to leave more. However, with automatic tipping and not seeing any hint of it after prepayment before the cruise began I no longer felt pressured (well ok still on alcohol, bit that's a different matter). I like being able to prepay and forget. For that matter I wouldn't mind if they just rolled it into the cost and not have to see it at all. I doubt that will happen here in the States however since people used to tipping might then feel obligated to tip not knowing it was already included in fare. Overseas i'm a bit surprised it isn't already rolled in.

I haven't been pressured to tip extra, although I have on occasion for good service. However, I have been pressured/encouraged to give ratings on the cruise survey due to stated hardship. For example, on the Jewel, our steward pleaded for the highest ratings as she wanted to promote so that she could get new cabin assignments as hers were split on either side of the centrum. Fortunately, she was good, so it wasn't a problem. However, being put in that situation was awkward.

I didn't get any sob stories on the Jewel, but I was reminded by our waiter and the cabin steward to fill out the survey.  They didn't beg for a top rating but they alluded to it.  It is not as intimidating as the tipping though since you basically get to go back and fill out the survey with no pressure to score it higher than you think it should be.

Completely agree that the high ratings request isn't so bad. However, I did feel for our steward as she had to push her trolley to either side of the centeum to service rooms. Even so, she was excellent and barely seen, which is a positive in my book as I like the ninja stewards. Sadly, though, I think all cruise lines are under the assumption the good or very good just isn't good enough. However, the reality is that sometimes service is just good and not exceptional. Even so, that doesn't take away from the quality of their work. What the difference between a clean bathroom and an exceptionally clean bathroom? Aren't they both clean? Or as Matt likes to say about steaks . . . They're all good . . .

Completely agree that the high ratings request isn't so bad. However, I did feel for our steward as she had to push her trolley to either side of the centeum to service rooms. Even so, she was excellent and barely seen, which is a positive in my book as I like the ninja stewards. Sadly, though, I think all cruise lines are under the assumption the good or very good just isn't good enough. However, the reality is that sometimes service is just good and not exceptional. Even so, that doesn't take away from the quality of their work. What the difference between a clean bathroom and an exceptionally clean bathroom? Aren't they both clean? Or as Matt likes to say about steaks . . . They're all good . . .

Exactly.  I also think that after 9 cruises I may be a little more likely to rate lower than I would if it were my first or second cruises.  We are very solid in our expectations having "been there, done that" before and it may take a little more to "wow" me.  I try not to be biased when filling out the survey and I definitely try to give the crew their due.

Peter, here's how I feel. Since the tips can be taken care of beforehand, I'd never feel compelled to tip on board. However, if you YOURSELF feel as though you were treated extra special, then by all means, I'd say "thank you" with that envelope. I was treated very well by our cabin steward, and did leave an envelope, but I never felt that way about anyone else on board.