Motorized scooter info

LToman

Welcome to the Boards!!  You can rent them from Scoot Around, they will delvier right to your stateroom in Ft. Lauderdale.  Haven't had any experience yet as we haven't sailed but we are renting one for hubby who has hip and back issues.  RC is VERY handicapped friendly, you should be able to go anywhere on the ship.  Others on this board have used them and I hope will chime in.  There is a wealth of information here regarding everything so please feel free to ask away!

https://www.scootaround.com/mobility-rentals/cruise/scooter-rentals

Make sure that you book a handicap stateroom, otherwise, the scooter won't likely for through the door and you likely won't have any space to store the scooter. 

I'm only aware of one cruise line that doesn't allow motorized scooters onboard and that's Viking Ocean Cruises. 

My mother-in-law rented a scooter for our upcoming cruise leaving this Saturday. She has been having some mobility issues also. I will see what I find out and let you know after the cruise. I know she didn't get a handicap accessible room so she told me she had to get one that had max width at 18 so it would fit in the stateroom. So that may come into play for you depending on the room you have.

1 hour ago, RamblingRandie said:

I will see what I find out and let you know after the cruise. I know she didn't get a handicap accessible room so she told me she had to get one that had max width at 18 so it would fit in the stateroom. So that may come into play for you depending on the room you have.

Thank you!! And have a great cruise!! 

1 hour ago, LToman said:

Thank you everyone for your insight. We actually have an owners suite so not worried about space to store in the cabin but I suppose the door width will be the same. I’m also wondering where on the ship the scooter can go.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Accessible_Seas/10017348_AccessibleSeas_Brochure.pdf

I hope this helps.  We are in a grand suite and Scootaround never mentioned width of door, the one we are looking at is their lightest and smallest. Looks maybe 15 inches wide.

I have rented all my scooters for Special Needs at Sea. It is in your room waiting for you when you board. There are some places that scooters can't go. The MDR is one. I know people will say they do but as soon as you arrive at the desk it is driven away and put at the front of the MDR because there is no room in the dining room. You are not allowed to park it in any hallway because carts and people can't get by. Some bars/lounges don't allow them. You can move all over the ship but I find some times the scooter  can be a pain to get on and off the elevators and into certain areas. Don't get me wrong I am glad I had the scooter for all of my cruises but sometimes they can cause problems. Oh, you can't take it off the ship. The crew is not allowed to help with driving it off of the ship on the gangway or helping load it on or off the ship.

My wife got injured a couple days before a cruise on Vision last year.  We rented a scooter from Scootaround with much success. It was waiting in our stateroom when we arrived on board, and we just left it in the stateroom for them to pick up after the cruise.  You will see these scooters on all of the Royal ships and all the ships are very well designed to accomodate scooters and wheelchairs. I do agree that some areas of the ship are a little tricky, such as the dining rooms and elevators.  My wife was mobile enough that we could park the scooter outside the restaurant and walk with a cane to the table. The staff were very good about sitting us at a table near the entrance when they noticed she was using a cane.  My wife was a bit self-conscious about driving it at first, especially on the elevators, but she got comfortable with it fairly quickly.

We did take the scooter off the ship in Bermuda because we were staying in the port area, but we did not take it off in any of the other ports.  Most of the ports are not well suited to wheelchair and scooter access as they do not have the same regulations that the USA has regarding accessibility.

On a larger, newer ship like Allure you should have no problem and will be glad to have the scooter on such a large ship. I’m sure you will find the staff very helpful to accommodate your needs.

One other note, we also had them deliver a wheelchair to our hotel in New York City since we arrived several days prior to the cruise. They delivered the wheelchair to the front desk, and we just dropped it back off at the front desk as we checked out.  Very convenient.

I just got back from my cruise and wanted to give you an update on how my mother in law fared with the scooter.  I see a few others have answered since I left and all their information is correct from what I observed.  As described above, her scooter was waiting in her stateroom. She did not have a handicap accessible stateroom but it did fit in the room. If possible I would recommend getting that room.  She could not get the scooter in or out without someone being there.  Our stateroom attendant did let her leave it parked out of the room for this reason.  I would assume, but am not certain, that with the handicap accessible room there would be a way after sliding in your room key to have an automatic door opener. But I have no way to know this for sure.  I just think it would make sense. 

You can get just about anywhere in the scooter, but as stated, you cannot bring it inside the shops or restaurants. It must be parked outside and you have to walk in.  The biggest issue we had was when trying to get off the ship.  You can't take these scooters off the ship.  So my mother in law would drive it down, then she would have to park it in a hallway and get off the ship herself.  There were no wheelchairs waiting except in Labadee.  In St. Kitts she went with her other son. I know they had some issues getting her to the excursion meeting point.  There may have been someone with a golf cart driving back and forth if I remember right.  In St. Maartin they had a tram that went from the boat to the meeting point for the tour buses. But you had to wait for it to come.  So make sure you get off in plenty of time. She didn't get off in San Juan at all as we were just walking around.  Labadee was the easiest port as they had people with wheelchairs waiting right at the ramp. They took you down and through the arch.  You did then had to walk over to where the tram would come, but my husband was able to pay the golf cart driver who was there for Pinnacle and Suite guests to drive us to Columbus Beach. It was my first time there and had heard it was not rocky and it was beautiful and she had no problems getting in and out of the water.  Then we grabbed the other tram car back and when we were dropped off at the beginning of the route there were tons of guys with wheelchairs waiting there also.

The other issue was getting the scooter back after getting off the ship.  When you leave it in the hallway they take your name and room number, then they drive it off site.  Every port we ran into confusion with this. She would get back on board and no one would know what she was talking about.  My advise to anyone with mobility issues is make sure you have plenty of time when getting on or off the ship or even if you need to take an elevator somewhere.  Because during peak times like dinner, it is hard to find one empty enough to pull a scooter into.

Hope this helps.

20 hours ago, RamblingRandie said:

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your timely update! I literally told my husband, we really need to think about the Scooter as I think it will be more of a burden than anything else. We are on a smaller ship (Grandeur) and only to Bermuda.  He just had 2 cortisone shots today into his hips, so that and a cane I am hoping he will be just fine. I mentioned the elevators and dining areas to him too so you just reaffirmed that.  Our stateroom too is almost across from the elevators. Do I take it you didn't have an accessible room as we don't either.  All in all I do hope you and your family and mother in law had a fabulous time!!  

3 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

Thank you for your timely update! I literally told my husband, we really need to think about the Scooter as I think it will be more of a burden than anything else. We are on a smaller ship (Grandeur) and only to Bermuda.  He just had 2 cortisone shots today into his hips, so that and a cane I am hoping he will be just fine. I mentioned the elevators and dining areas to him too so you just reaffirmed that.  Our stateroom too is almost across from the elevators. Do I take it you didn't have an accessible room as we don't either.  All in all I do hope you and your family and mother in law had a fabulous time!!  

My mother in law did not have an accessible room.  We were on Freedom so it was a lot larger than Grandeur.  And our room was halfway down the aft hallway.  I insisted she get it for this reason. Have a great time.

Just now, RamblingRandie said:

My mother in law did not have an accessible room.  We were on Freedom so it was a lot larger than Grandeur.  And our room was halfway down the aft hallway.  I insisted she get it for this reason. Have a great time.

Thanks so much! Just hoping hubby does too!

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2018 at 1:55 AM, firegal2539 said:

I have rented all my scooters for Special Needs at Sea. It is in your room waiting for you when you board. There are some places that scooters can't go. The MDR is one. I know people will say they do but as soon as you arrive at the desk it is driven away and put at the front of the MDR because there is no room in the dining room. You are not allowed to park it in any hallway because carts and people can't get by. Some bars/lounges don't allow them. You can move all over the ship but I find some times the scooter  can be a pain to get on and off the elevators and into certain areas. Don't get me wrong I am glad I had the scooter for all of my cruises but sometimes they can cause problems. Oh, you can't take it off the ship. The crew is not allowed to help with driving it off of the ship on the gangway or helping load it on or off the ship.

I have taken my last 3 cruises with a scooter and have been able to take it off the ship at any port that has pier access - (tender ports are different and usually you can't take the scooter to a tender port).  The crew will not  drive it off the ship for you, but they will make sure you get it safely down the gangway (especially if it's steep).  You do have to watch when you are in port as not every port is as accessible (sidewalk cuts, etc), as we are used to here in the US.