transfers to port/hotel with child

Hi, we will be sailing Harmony of the Seas Dec 9. Group of 3 families. One child will be 4 years old and we will not be travelling with a car seat on the plane. We will arrive the day before. We will need transportation from FLL airport to Fort Lauderdale area hotel and then from hotel to Port Everglades on Dec 9. What is the best way? Uber doesn't have Uber Family. Is a shuttle service the best way without a car seat and any recommendations if so? Thank you in advance.

I've seen people on shuttles with young children where they were either holding them or they sat next to them.  Have you checked with the hotel to see if they will pick you up at the airport and take you to the port?  A lot of them do, I know there is a hampton inn that used to take you to and from the airport.  No experience with the cruise port.

My wife and I have this argument every time, where I bring up the fact when we were kids we just sat on our parents laps.  She reminds me the relevancy of that is irrelevant.

Have you considered a blow up car seat (assuming the 4 year old is big enough)? We travel with this all the time because it deflates for easy packing. 

When we contracted a transfer from Orlando to Port Canaveral with our granddaughter who was 3 the transfer company had a car seat for her.  We had to reserve it in advance so check with your transfer company.  For shuttles and buses the law does not require car seats but our son and daughter-in-law wanted one for her.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

My wife and I have this argument every time, where I bring up the fact when we were kids we just sat on our parents laps.  She reminds me the relevancy of that is irrelevant.

Have you considered a blow up car seat (assuming the 4 year old is big enough)? We travel with this all the time because it deflates for easy packing. 

To add to this and stir up more trouble...the disney magic express and the DCL shuttle (which transfers tons of kids each week) doesn't have car/booster seats (at least none that I have seen the many times we have travelled in them)....?

I'm a Mom of two who were once 4 years old. I get both sides of it. Guilty of putting them on a shuttle with no car seats while worrying about it the whole time. 

Also, not sure if it helps with the decision making but the good news from FLL is that from airport to hotel (assuming you choose one close to the port) to pier is all within 10 minutes. Everything is so close together there. Love leaving from port Everglades.

I think the law is that you don’t need a booster on a shuttle/bus. If taking the shuttle then it’s no problem. It’s easy to take the shuttle to the hotel from the airport. However, taxi/uber/lyft provides greater flexibility and is cheaper to the pier. Using those services you do need a booster or the parents could be fined. The shuttles typically cost $10 pp to the pier and the early times I wanted were already booked. 

We also have a Bubble Bum but we’ve had it for years and have used it when we fly to other states where we’d need a booster. Many states have booster laws until age 8. Like Matt said it is inflatable and when deflated is rolled to the size of a pair of rolled jeans. Really easy to pack and I highly recommend if you do a lot of traveling. I’ve never used it for an  excursion or needed it for a cruise however, every parent needs to make their own decision. 

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need a car seat for a livery vehicle or shuttle bus type vehicle technically.......but our 5 year old daughter has been on several cruises before and we usually have a day before or after the cruise usually involving a rental car so we have always taken along her car seat.    You can gate check it at the airport (if you are flying) and it doesn't cost anything like a checked bag would.   It is kinda inconvenient obviously to carry around but beats renting one from the rental car company that who knows what has happened to it or what kind of nastiness might be lurking on it.