Need Help! Cruising in Australia March 2019.

Dawn T.

10 minutes ago, DocLC said:

We did business class to Paris in January and I was hoping to get some sleep. Unfortunately, it's just something I can't seem to do on planes. So while it was nice, especially having access to the lounge before the flight, I've decided that I'll save the money for now and cruise more often. 

I can't sleep on a plane either; however, hubby is asleep before we even take off...

58 minutes ago, DocLC said:

We did business class to Paris in January and I was hoping to get some sleep. Unfortunately, it's just something I can't seem to do on planes.

The business class to Barcelona was nice, we were on an AA 777 with lay flat seats, we took off from Charlotte at about 8 in the evening, had dinner watched a movie and then changed in to clothes to sleep in, I normally can't sleep on a plane either, but we had left our house about 8am, so I took a little Melatonin for sleep and the next thing I knew it was 7am the next morning and we were getting close to Barcelona.

Coming back we were flying during the day, I didn't sleep, figured I could handle it, by the time we hit DFW I was dead on my feet, will not make that mistake again.

1 minute ago, tiny260 said:

The business class to Barcelona was nice, we were on an AA 777 with lay flat seats, we took off from Charlotte at about 8 in the evening, had dinner watched a movie and then changed in to clothes to sleep in, I normally can't sleep on a plane either, but we had left our house about 8am, so I took a little Melatonin for sleep and the next thing I knew it was 7am the next morning and we were getting close to Barcelona.

I'm curious, is the cabin in the business class / first class section soundproofed better than the main cabin area, or do you just use earplugs / tune out the noise? I've tried merely dozing on planes (especially the honeymoon flight to Hawaii and back) and it's really more the overall noise level than anything else that keeps me from being able to settle down to at least a nap level of relaxation.

24 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I'm curious, is the cabin in the business class / first class section soundproofed better than the main cabin area, or do you just use earplugs / tune out the noise? I've tried merely dozing on planes (especially the honeymoon flight to Hawaii and back) and it's really more the overall noise level than anything else that keeps me from being able to settle down to at least a nap level of relaxation.

Like everything else we do I was OCD with my planning especially the flight, the last time I had flown this far was to Hawaii during the early 80's and back then I didn't know any better and flew during the day. So I over planned, read everything I could about not having jet lag with the time differential etc., because I wanted to hit the ground running in Barcelona and see everything, so the best plan for no jet lag as far as I could tell was sleep.

To answer your question, I had ear plugs, noise cancelling ear buds and an eye mask (Because there is still light in the airplane cabin), I ended up going with the ear buds playing some really low volume acoustical play list I had and the eye mask. You could probably go with a white noise generator through the ear buds (Rolling ocean).

I had always read and heard that the noise cancelling head phones or ear buds were magic for flight fatigue, but never really comprehended it until I actually had some, I never take a flight now with out them, your neighbor might think you are rude, but I never feel tired when I get off a flight any more.

48 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I agree with @tiny260.  Noise cancelling headphones are the way to go.  Hubby and I were just talking about this last week and he's going to buy a pair.  Ear plugs don't work that well.  It muffles but doesn't drown out the actual noise if you need it quiet for sleeping.

51 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Just realized I didn't really answer your question, I don't know that the Business class is insulated any better than any other part of the aircraft, but you are not sitting right next to the outside wall of the plane and you are a lot further forward (So further from the engine noise), plus you are sitting in little pods, so they kind of insulate a little as well. Go to Seat Guru and pull up a 777 Version 2 and you will see what I'm talking about. At one point one of the flights was showing it would be an Airbus, when I researched the Airbus everyone said they were a little louder than the 777, but I ended with 777 on all my legs.

24 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

I had always read and heard that the noise cancelling head phones or ear buds were magic for flight fatigue, but never really comprehended it until I actually had some, I never take a flight now with out them, your neighbor might think you are rude, but I never feel tired when I get off a flight any more.

11 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I agree with @tiny260.  Noise cancelling headphones are the way to go.  Hubby and I were just talking about this last week and he's going to buy a pair.  Ear plugs don't work that well.  It muffles but doesn't drown out the actual noise if you need it quiet for sleeping.

Well, as luck would have it I bought a pair of Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones last year, actually for the office where there's a lot of low-frequency noise from the HVAC system all the time. Not Bose, but they still work really well and I was already planning on bringing them with me for the flight. They're really big -- like, I look like I should be on the runway directing the planes as they taxi big -- but they get the job done and were about 1/3 the cost of a pair of Bose QC35's.

17 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Well, as luck would have it I bought a pair of Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones last year, actually for the office where there's a lot of low-frequency noise from the HVAC system all the time. Not Bose, but they still work really well and I was already planning on bringing them with me for the flight. They're really big -- like, I look like I should be on the runway directing the planes as they taxi big -- but they get the job done and were about 1/3 the cost of a pair of Bose QC35's.

I have a pair of Bose noise canceling headphones and I love them.  They have their own case that I put in my carry-on.  I don't like anything sticking into my ear so ear-buds are out!

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You changed your picture and name???

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Not Bose, but they still work really well and I was already planning on bringing them with me for the flight. They're really big -- like, I look like I should be on the runway directing the planes as they taxi big 

Your teenage girls are going to love being seen with you ? jk