Royal Caribbean Blog

Then, a couple of months later, we found an incredible rate on a California coastal cruise on Celebrity's oldest ship.

Which ship was that?

I ask because Celebrity Century is Celebrity's oldest ship right now and that was our first cruise back in 1998. Although the ship can't compare to today's marvels, she's still special for being our first, and I give a lot of credit for our current love of cruising to the experience we had onboard her.

Marc,

It was the Century just before they announced it was leaving the fleet as speculated before the announcement.

It was a great cruise. However, it was very port intensive--not a single sea day--so the features of the ship were less important overall.

Don,

Going with itinerary first has never led me wrong.  While I've ended up on cruise lines I wouldn't have ordinarily cruised on again, I had enjoyable experiences overall and given us experiences we wouldn't have otherwise had.

Mike,

The staterooms on NCL are noticeably smaller, about 20 to 30 square feet if memory serves.  The cabins tend to be the smallest of the major cruise lines although acceptable for two.  I'm not sure I want to cruise with my son in one of the cabins.  Although to be honest, we had a penthouse on our last NCL cruise, so space wasn't an issue.  Regarding nickel and dining, after cruising Disney, every cruise line seems to do this to some degree.  Holland American and Celebrity the least, Royal and Princess, then Carnival, and finally NCL in my opinion.  This is based on what's included, costs of drinks, cost of specialty restaurants, etc.  Again, my opinion.  While I found the food more than acceptable on NCL, there were dishes that you won't find in abundance in the MDR such as lobster, although many due comment on the poor quality of the lobster served on other lines.  For better quality meals, you will need to go to the specialty restaurants; however, I found them to be more moderately priced than on the other lines.

You will not be compelled to spend more money on NCL; you will just find more opportunities to do so.  In addition, I think you may find the drink prices to be more expensive overall, but perhaps not a problem if you have a drink package.

NCL still can't be beat if you're traveling in a suite, however.

In regards to your above post where you mention NCL can't be beat if you're traveling in suite - just wondering if this applies to the Mini Suites as well?  It caught my attention as a mini suite w/ balcony on the Escape is up for consideration for me in place of the Freedom that we have booked currently.  The mini suite on Escape doesn't look that much larger, but certainly looks nice.  Perhaps you can tell me about your thoughts on the mini suite being great on NCL.  Would love to hear.  Currently booked in a large oceanview on Freedom - new room on 12th deck, pie-shaped.  

Thanks for your insight.  Jennifer

Mini-suite is the most overused and meaningless term used in the cruise industry. Outside of double cruise points on RCI and Holland American, there's not a single cruise line that I know of that offers suite perks for a mini-suite; this, I wish they'd just drop "suite" from the name. While the cabins are larger, you won't receive any suite perks.

Mini-suite is the most overused and meaningless term used in the cruise industry. Outside of double cruise points on RCI and Holland American, there's not a single cruise line that I know of that offers suite perks for a mini-suite; this, I wish they'd just drop "suite" from the name. While the cabins are larger, you won't receive any suite perks.

It's all marketing.  Mini suite sounds a lot more enticing than "really large balcony"

• 7 months later...

Hello All,

Just back from NCL Breakaway and the cruise turned out to be very good.  Not to the level of RCCL, but still very nice.  

The stateroom may have been smaller, but I didn't notice.  The balcony was smaller, but the showers were bigger than I was used to on RCCL.  Instead of an enclosed circle, it was more rectangle; however the water leaked out the bottom of the door where a gap was( we had some heavy seas to Bermuda which I thought was really cool, but caused water to slosh around the bathroom sometimes).  The food in the MDR was very good, as was the buffet.  We ate at one specialty restaurant, the Italian one, and it was not up to MDR.  I loved leaving out of NYC, as it was a train ride vs plane; I live near Philly.  And, we had the unlimited drink package, which was offered free of charge, and this was nice.  I don't think I could ever beat the ship at per drink vs ubp.  I tried!  I did like that the dress code was a lot more relaxed on NCL than RCCL.  Dress up night was only one night, and they said if you don't feel like it, don't.

We lucked out and beat the hurricanes.   Weather was perfect until the last day, which was too windy to go topside.  However, we had the ubp, so that was okay.   Bermuda was great.  Rented scooters, my wife took a spill, so next time I would rent a double and put her on back.  We also bought a day pass for CoCo Reef, which included lunch, beach chairs, umbrellas, pool, etc. for $65pp.  

Thanks for all the advice offered above, I am glad that I continued with the cruise.

Mike_

P.S.  I got off this cruise and swore I was done with cruising for a long time.  Then I got home, uploaded my photos and said, "I can't wait for the next one!"  Five months. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,

I am not sure I like these big ships yet, I will hold my judgement until we do Allure in February.   My first two cruises were on smaller ships, Jewel and Vision, and I really like their sizes...  I think.  Very charming, lots to do, but the layout seems right to me.  However, I have my eyes on that Freedom of the Seas...  there are a lot of "love" comments on your Podcast about that one, I might have to give it a spin.  :)

Mike_

Matt,

I am not sure I like these big ships yet, I will hold my judgement until we do Allure in February.   My first two cruises were on smaller ships, Jewel and Vision, and I really like their sizes...  I think.  Very charming, lots to do, but the layout seems right to me.  However, I have my eyes on that Freedom of the Seas...  there are a lot of "love" comments on your Podcast about that one, I might have to give it a spin.   :)

Mike_

Ship size isn't as impactful as you might think.  These ships are designed to maximize their space so well  and each class has its own uniqueness to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Ship size isn't as impactful as you might think.  These ships are designed to maximize their space so well  and each class has its own uniqueness to them.

Matt,

My initial feeling is that the smaller ships it feels like the center of the ships are where everything happens, and the elevators are located there. However, on these big ones the elevators are severely forward or aft, which always makes for a long walk. And, they appear less intimate. Just a feeling.

Thanks,

Mike_

Matt,

My initial feeling is that the smaller ships it feels like the center of the ships are where everything happens, and the elevators are located there. However, on these big ones the elevators are severely forward or aft, which always makes for a long walk. And, they appear less intimate. Just a feeling.

Thanks,

Mike_

I can see where you're coming from with that opinion.  They definitely are different but I don't think it is as big a deal as some people think it might be in terms of sheer ship size.