First Cruise - Alaska - 6/22/18 - Seward to Vancouver

KJ1231

Hello  - first time cruise for us and naturally have more questions than answers and hoping those with more experience can guide us.

(1) We are flying into Anchorage late on Wednesday 6/20. Plan to spend 6/21 in Anchorage and then booked train through RC from Anchorage to Seward. RC told me we need to be at the convention center by 11:30 on Friday, 6/22, to get picked up and taken to train. I was told that we check our bags before shuttle and don't see them again until we get to our room on the Radiance of the Seas. What time does the train actually leave Anchorage and arrive in Seward? I checked Alaska RR schedule and it only shows the early morning train and says cruise lines have private trains. Will we be checked-in prior to arrival in Seward or do we have to go through the check-in process after arriving at the dock? Just trying to get a handle on how things will flow from the time we arrive at the convention center until ship leaves the port and whether we'll have time for anything in Seward.

(2) I see times are already full for dining the first night. As first time cruisers should we wait til ship leaves the port to eat dinner (8:00 PM departure) or eat before/while departing? This is partially based on the answer to (1) since I think we'll need time to actually get on the ship and find our rooms, etc. FWIW we have "My Time Dining"

(3) We did not purchase a drink package. I don't drink alcohol and my wife only has the occasional glass of wine. Not sure that we'll drink $36 ($18 each) worth of soda and bottled water per day. We used the sale to purchase our excursions but did not go for the drink package.

(4) Excursions we chose were the Mendenhall Glacier, Whale Watching and Wildlife Quest in Juneau; Gold Panning, Sled Dogs & Exclusive Scenic Railway in Skagway; I'm doing "Discovering the Birds of Hoonah" while my wife does "In Alaska's Wildest Kitchen" in Icy Strait Point";  and "Ketchikan Duck Tour" in Ketchikan. Any reasons to not choose these?

(5) How far in advance is the Entertainment schedule posted? Are we better off making dinner reservations now and changing when that comes out (if necessary)?

Thank you in advance for sharing our knowledge!! Ken

36 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

(3) We did not purchase a drink package. I don't drink alcohol and my wife only has the occasional glass of wine. Not sure that we'll drink $36 ($18 each) worth of soda and bottled water per day. We used the sale to purchase our excursions but did not go for the drink package.

Don't be afraid to skip a drink package.  I know drink packages get a lot of attention (especially on this site), but you can absolutely have a great time without one. Based on your description, you are much better off financially without it.

2 hours ago, KJ1231 said:

(5) How far in advance is the Entertainment schedule posted? Are we better off making dinner reservations now and changing when that comes out (if necessary)?

On the smaller ships, you won't know the entertainment until you get your daily cruise compass. You might be able to find other ones that can help you get an idea on times. https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass

5 hours ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

On the smaller ships, you won't know the entertainment until you get your daily cruise compass. You might be able to find other ones that can help you get an idea on times. https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass

Thanks for the link! The most recent one for Radiance of the Seas was from June 2016 but able to glean lots of good information. Will scan ours when we get back!

I did a Southbound this past June on Celebrity which is part of the Royal Caribbean family.   I booked the train direct so I had that early train you saw.  The duration of the train ride will be very close.  

My recap blog for that trip can be found here:

They collect luggage in Anchorage as your arrive for the train so have your ship luggage tags on them leaving your hotel just like you would for any cruise.  You'll see your luggage next outside your cabin on the ship.  

The chartered train stops very close to the cruise terminal in Seward.  You'll see a picture of this in my blog.  Like any cruise terminal here you'll need your SetSail pass and passports.  Make sure you keep your documents with you and not in your luggage leaving your hotel.  Same with medication, valuables and especially your camera - you'll need it on the train which was an amazing ride.  See my photos in the blog above.  

As far as dinner I'd eat when you are hungry.  I saw a whale right in the port at Seward.  It stays light much later so you might want to eat early, go to the safety briefing (mandatory) and then catch sail away while it's still very light outside at 8pm.  You never know what wildlife you might see. 

Enjoy your cruise, Alaska is amazing.  

At Juneau, we took the excursion  "Bike n Brew. "  The bike ride to Mendenhall Glacier wss great.  Loved the Alaskan Brewing Company tasting.  We finished early enough to do the mandatory visit to the Red Dog Saloon (food, drink, & entertainment ).

Recommendations for Anchorage; Jens Restaurant  for dinner (http://www.jensrestaurant.com/contact-us.html).  For breakfast, Snow City Cafe (http://www.snowcitycafe.com/home).