I just got voom for 4 devices and I have to say the price for the package is just ridiculous. I know I don't "need" to buy it, but with my kids on board it is a must to be able to communicate with them. But nearly $600 for 8 days is absurd. It just feels like another money grab by RC. I won't pretend to know what RC's costs for starlink are, but surely it's way above what they charge. 

1 minute ago, KristiZ said:

You can use the app chat function for free

Yes and no. For one I have heard it is crap... Delayed and missed messages etc. Second, I have a 12 yr old and they cannot sign up for an account on the app. They have to be over 13. Which is fine for my other 2 kids but not my youngest. 

31 minutes ago, Fastfaller said:

I just got voom for 4 devices and I have to say the price for the package is just ridiculous. I know I don't "need" to buy it, but with my kids on board it is a must to be able to communicate with them. But nearly $600 for 8 days is absurd. It just feels like another money grab by RC. I won't pretend to know what RC's costs for starlink are, but surely it's way above what they charge. 

Is that the 1 person, 4 devices plan or the 4 person, 1 device each plan?

The single user, multiple device plan tends to be a lot cheaper.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

That's an awful price then. Right now for my next 8 nighter in June, the 1/4 plan is $455, and that's at a crappy sale price, too.

I just looked at mine and it was $544 and change, so roughly $17/device/day. 

I personally think there should be a room rate unlimited device price scheme. Sure this would mean suites would get a better deal since they can have more ppl, but the suite ppl are also paying a premium already. $30/room per day would be a lot more reasonable IMO. But then again making as much money as possible is not my goal here. 

I am guessing this will only happen when the free market allows me to purchase starlink directly on a daily or weekly basis so I can compete with the cruise lines. If there were individual options out there we wouldn't be able to be robbed like this. I just don't know how starlink works. I assume devices cannot connect directly to it. You need a receiver then modem/router to create a LAN which you can connect to. Someday though the option might exist for direct connection globally.

8 hours ago, Fastfaller said:

Yes and no. For one I have heard it is crap... Delayed and missed messages etc. Second, I have a 12 yr old and they cannot sign up for an account on the app. They have to be over 13. Which is fine for my other 2 kids but not my youngest. 

The app while at home is not the same as the app while on the ship.  As I understand it, once on the ship, anyone can use the app simply by entering their name and room number with no age restriction.  There's probably some youtube videos to view how it behaves differently.

16 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

The app while at home is not the same as the app while on the ship.  As I understand it, once on the ship, anyone can use the app simply by entering their name and room number with no age restriction.  There's probably some youtube videos to view how it behaves differently.

I don't believe this is true. You still have to log into the app to get to the chat feature.

Screenshot_20240407_200329_Royal.jpg