Dining Package Reservations

I think I remember hearing (probably from one of Matt's videos) that RCI was planning to change its reservation system for dining packages to allow folks to make all of their dinner reservations online before the cruise, as opposed to the current system where reservations other than the first one have to be made on the first day after boarding. Assuming I am remembering that correctly -- has that change been implemented yet? If not, has RCI announced when it will be? I've been holding off on buying my dinner package for my October cruise in the hope that I'll be able to make all the reservations at that time.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. Since we are still more than six months out from our sailing, we are going to hold off on booking the dining package in the hopes that the change will be implemented in the next couple of months.

I'm imaging the prices going up on the packages has to do with the potential for pre-bookings starting sometime this year. There's less need to give a substantial discount over booking individual reservations if Royal's switching the dining packages from something akin to a GTY for restaurants to a "You pick" setup. Though with how many new cruisers Royal attracts, I bet they were fielding multiple complaints each sailing from people not realizing the packages were to ensure restaurant traffic by selling tables which would otherwise go unoccupied.

Does anyone know how it worked on Wonder when it was being tested? I'm curious to know if after purchasing a package if restaurant reservations in the app/website didn't happen with the normal steps, but there was no charge for the reservation at checkout?

17 minutes ago, Rackham said:

I'm imaging the prices going up on the packages has to do with the potential for pre-bookings starting sometime this year. There's less need to give a substantial discount over booking individual reservations if Royal's switching the dining packages from something akin to a GTY for restaurants to a "You pick" setup. Though with how many new cruisers Royal attracts, I bet they were fielding multiple complaints each sailing from people not realizing the packages were to ensure restaurant traffic by selling tables which would otherwise go unoccupied.

Does anyone know how it worked on Wonder when it was being tested? I'm curious to know if after purchasing a package if restaurant reservations in the app/website didn't happen with the normal steps, but there was no charge for the reservation at checkout?

I was on Wonder in Jan with the UDP. The option to prebook wasn't available like they said it would be. I can't actually recall if anyone was able to prebook. 

6 hours ago, DB Cooper said:

Right now the price on a 3-night package is only about 20 bucks less than booking the three most expensive restaurants ala carte. I'm hoping for a sale. I should have booked on black Friday.

In my experience the 3night package never really goes on sale like the UDP. Are you also factoring in the gratuity for the 3 restaurants a la carte?

• 3 weeks later...

The sale that came out today had the best deal I've seen yet on a three-night dining package for our sailing (October 13 on Symphony) -- 30% off the the rack rate instead of the usual 20%. Not sure if this affects many other sailings, but if you've been on the lookout for those rare deals on the three night package, now might be a good time to take a look.