Victoria, BC any reason to get off the ship?

We will be on a 7nt Ovation Alaska sailing. Our last port will be Victoria. We are not interested in any of the RC excursions. Can any of my board friends recommend an excursion (organized or not) in Victoria? I've looked at third-party operators, and they seem identical to the RCs, although they are a bit cheaper. Is it worth walking around the port area? 

17 minutes ago, Vacation Crazy said:

We did not give Victoria much thought on our Alaskan cruise and had nothing planned.  We walked into town past Fisherman's Wharf.  We are so glad we did. It truly is a beautiful city. 

cruise_map_web_3.jpg

Thanks! What did you do past Fisherman's Wharf?

2 hours ago, Carlos A. said:

Walk around Fisherman's Wharf and take the water taxi to Victoria's Downtown. It's a beautiful city. 

This is exactly what we do! The downtown area has many very nice restaurants, bars and shopping options that you can easily make the most of your time there. The downtown is VERY clean and safe. Even walking around and not spending a dime is better than sitting on the ship for this port.

19 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

I think we are going to try the Malahat Skywalk and then go to Fisherman's Wharf. We are in port I believe from noon to 10 PM. Can anyone give their review/opinion of the Skywalk?

I was looking at the Skywalk for my (non-cruise) trip to BC this summer since we saw it on The Amazing Race Canada and were curious about it.

My conclusion is that it's a purpose-built tourist attraction with appeal as an accessible hike with an elevated view and a dry slide (ugh) as it's major selling points. At $37 CDN pp (not including transport over), it could get pricey. But it does get you out of the city and nature-adjacent, so there is that.

I think that, with 10 hours to play with, it's not a bad way to spend a few hours. But it's not something that screams "must do" to me.

2 hours ago, KWong said:

I was looking at the Skywalk for my (non-cruise) trip to BC this summer since we saw it on The Amazing Race Canada and were curious about it.

My conclusion is that it's a purpose-built tourist attraction with appeal as an accessible hike with an elevated view and a dry slide (ugh) as it's major selling points. At $37 CDN pp (not including transport over), it could get pricey. But it does get you out of the city and nature-adjacent, so there is that.

I think that, with 10 hours to play with, it's not a bad way to spend a few hours. But it's not something that screams "must do" to me.

THANK YOU! We love hiking and getting away from the city. What would you recommend instead?

1 hour ago, Baked Alaska said:

THANK YOU! We love hiking and getting away from the city. What would you recommend instead?

I can't really recommend anything in terms of that because we're probably doing hiking in Tofino (again, a land trip), which is way too far away for a cruise excursion. Which is a roundabout way of saying that I didn't do any hiking research for the Victoria area.