Re-entering Canada on an Alaska cruise.

I'm trying to figure out something. I am taking a cruise that starts in Vancouver and then goes to Alaska. The last leg of the cruise is in Victoria before ending in Seattle.

Would there be Canadian immigration in Victoria?

Back when Canada required a COVID app be filled out for every entry this type of itinerary required filling out the app twice as each entry to Canada was unique.  

When a ship stops in Victoria before ending in Seattle the immigration process is performed automatically, at least for US citizens.  Like any cruise ship arriving to a port of call, the ship announces that the ship has been cleared.  At that point everyone is free to leave the ship without being processed or seeing CBSA on land.  Citizens beyond WHTI countries may be handled differently.

29 minutes ago, twangster said:

Back when Canada required a COVID app be filled out for every entry this type of itinerary required filling out the app twice as each entry to Canada was unique.  

When a ship stops in Victoria before ending in Seattle the immigration process is performed automatically, at least for US citizens.  Like any cruise ship arriving to a port of call, the ship announces that the ship has been cleared.  At that point everyone is free to leave the ship without being processed or seeing CBSA on land.  Citizens beyond WHTI countries may be handled differently.

Yup. That was my main issue. As a mexican citizen, the rules for entering Canada just changed yesterday. Now because the ship stops in Victoria (even if it departs from Vancouver), I need a visa instead of a simple eTA. With 2 months until I leave, the timing to request for a visa was probably not enough. And I had to make a call today in order to not lose 50% of the total of my 4 person cruise. Sadly for my sanity's sake, I ended up cancelling 😞

50 minutes ago, twangster said:

For as expensive as the ArriveCAN project ended up being, they needed to get people to use it as much as possible.

Having my ArriveCAN ready to go (and never needed) when boarding a cruise an Vancouver ranks up there with having all my covid testing paperwork ready to go to re-enter the USA (and never needed) when we got flown back from the Bahamas on a private jet when my son was "quarantined" for exposure on Adventure back in 2021.

12 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Having my ArriveCAN ready to go (and never needed) when boarding a cruise an Vancouver ranks up there with having all my covid testing paperwork ready to go to re-enter the USA (and never needed) when we got flown back from the Bahamas on a private jet when my son was "quarantined" for exposure on Adventure back in 2021.

ArriveCAN was always matched to my passport and not shown to CBSA.  I crossed a number of times when ArriveCAN was required, driving and flying, and ArriveCAN compliance was noted on screen to the CBSA agent when they swiped my passport.   It's only when you didn't complete ArriveCAN would you really find out that it mattered.  Visitors would get a slap on the wrist, Canadian residents faced the possibility of crazy high fines.