Royal Caribbean Blog

A perfect example of why you fly the day before...

This past June (2017) we flew out of KC to Seattle on Alaska Airlines for an Alaska cruise! It was a direct flight, when we got to the airport NO LUGGAGE. The plane was overweight and they pulled a bunch of luggage. Fortunately, it was the day before, as we did not get our luggage delivered to the hotel until 11pm that night, our flight arrived at 10am PST, so we were without luggage for in excess of 12 hours, can't imagine how upset I would have been if our ship left our arrival day.

Worse yet I can:t imagine as to when or if your luggage would even  catch up with you.  Those are all tiny towns and you are at sea for a day or so before your first port of call.  You are truly proof as to why you need to arrive a day before departure.  I am glad your luggage arrived before you set sail.   

I know most people fly in the day before but I don't unless it is absolutely necessary. I have an amazing TA that makes sure when she books my flights that I leave early enough and there are at least 1 or 2 backup flights, if something happens to the original. It is too expensive to get a hotel room for one night, worry about how to get to the hotel and to the port, pay extra for getting there when I can get the cruise line's shuttle service for a reasonable price. 

I know some day it will catch me and I won't make a cruise or my luggage won't make it, etc. 

Candie

I live in Tulsa, and the issue is getting from Tulsa to DFW to get a decent flight and decent times. One cruise I had to fly to DFW the night before, spend the night and fly DFW to San Juan the next day. Again the issue wasn't DFW, it was the limited flights out of Tulsa with Connecting flights to other areas that messes with mu planning. So I usually fly out a day early in case I have any issues with my flights I can usually regroup and still get to the cruise. I usually cruise in summer time, so I have to deal with thunder storms and tornado's in Oklahoma and Texas. 

Candie, I would love to do that, and I'm glad you can, I assume it's because you are close to DFW.

4 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

I live in Tulsa, and the issue is getting from Tulsa to DFW to get a decent flight and decent times. One cruise I had to fly to DFW the night before, spend the night and fly DFW to San Juan the next day. Again the issue wasn't DFW, it was the limited flights out of Tulsa with Connecting flights to other areas that messes with mu planning. So I usually fly out a day early in case I have any issues with my flights I can usually regroup and still get to the cruise. I usually cruise in summer time, so I have to deal with thunder storms and tornado's in Oklahoma and Texas. 

Candie, I would love to do that, and I'm glad you can, I assume it's because you are close to DFW.

Well, Tiny, you do have an option. Move to Dallas!:27_sunglasses:

3 hours ago, firegal2539 said:

I know most people fly in the day before but I don't unless it is absolutely necessary. I have an amazing TA that makes sure when she books my flights that I leave early enough and there are at least 1 or 2 backup flights, if something happens to the original. It is too expensive to get a hotel room for one night, worry about how to get to the hotel and to the port, pay extra for getting there when I can get the cruise line's shuttle service for a reasonable price. 

I know some day it will catch me and I won't make a cruise or my luggage won't make it, etc. 

Candie

This post gives me anxiety just reading it. 

Weather cannot be defeated. There were other alternate flights for us.. But the weather in Fort Lauderdale was so horrific the airport was closed for hours... 

I spent 10 bucks to get to the hotel. 100 dollars for the room. 10 bucks to get from the hotel to the pier. 

Money well spent. If that 120 dollars was going to prohibit me from cruising I'd have to scrounge elsewhere. I'm not going to risk missing my ship just to save the cost of a hotel. 

2 hours ago, firegal2539 said:

Tiny, DFW is five minutes away. Unfortunately I haven't found a hotel with a room for one person for $100 a night. Most of the time they are closer to $200. Tiny you can come stay with me and leave your car parked in my driveway. I will play Uber and take you to and from the airport.

Candie

:36_flushed::36_flushed::36_flushed:

12 hours ago, firegal2539 said:

Tiny, DFW is five minutes away. Unfortunately I haven't found a hotel with a room for one person for $100 a night. Most of the time they are closer to $200. Tiny you can come stay with me and leave your car parked in my driveway. I will play Uber and take you to and from the airport.

Candie

Appreciate  the offer, might take you up on that some day. Yea, I usually stay at the Hilton on the airport, definitely not a $100 hotel.

Running into the same thing in 2018, have a cruise out of San Juan that leaves on a Saturday, because of work commitments I can't leave until Friday afternoon, I'm kind of stuck flying AA because I have a voucher to use, I've only completed a cursory look at flights but it appears I will have to go to Miami on Friday night and then get up Saturday morning and take the earliest flight I can get from Miami to San Juan otherwise I'm getting to San Juan late enough that if "Anything" happened I could miss the ship.

Candie, I also believe I have read that you are retired, I'm not quite there yet, getting close though.

Yes I retired from the Irving Texas Fire Department after almost 35 years. I loved my job but I felt it was time to let younger people take over.

I have worked a part time job for two years but they frowned on me taking off once a month for 7 days to take a cruise, (I just don't understand that)!!

I now work from home picking the hours I want to work and when I can take time off.

I cruise about 6 to 8 times a year, although Harvey and Irma have managed to ruin two of this years cruises.

Candie

"Fly By Night Away From Here...Ship Isn't Coming and I Just Can't Pretend."  hmmm, sounds like a cruise hurricane season song.

Million miler on Delta.  I've seen delays, misconnects and cancellations, lots of them.  With elite status I get added to the standby list at the very top, bumping everyone else down, yet I fly in the day before, always.  

Grew up not far from YYZ.  Watched the Concorde do a fly by at YYZ from the old parking garage.  Good times.

17 hours ago, firegal2539 said:

I cruise about 6 to 8 times a year, although Harvey and Irma have managed to ruin two of this years cruises.

Yea, can't wait until retirement, I get maybe 2 cruises per year currently, live in Oklahoma now, want to move closer to a cruise port so I can take advantage of some last minute cruise deals that are not available to mew currently.

On 9/17/2017 at 1:59 AM, firegal2539 said:

Yes I retired from the Irving Texas Fire Department after almost 35 years. I loved my job but I felt it was time to let younger people take over.

I have worked a part time job for two years but they frowned on me taking off once a month for 7 days to take a cruise, (I just don't understand that)!!

I now work from home picking the hours I want to work and when I can take time off.

Candie

35 years? HOLY COW you just earned my respect! I have been doing it 17 16 as a medic firefighter and I am already looking forward to retirement.  As you say it is definitely a young persons job!  Thank you for your service! 

On 9/18/2017 at 4:04 PM, bhageerah said:

35 years? HOLY COW you just earned my respect! I have been doing it 17 16 as a medic firefighter and I am already looking forward to retirement.  As you say it is definitely a young persons job!  Thank you for your service! 

I just read your handle out loud....I love it!!