Alaska cruise questions

whitsmom

We are trying to decide on our excursions. My TA told me that they sell out fast and not to wait too long. We don't cruise until July 13 2018. My question is, do we need to hurry up and make our minds up or what? 

Also, we will be flying into Vancouver the day before so any suggestions on hotels fairly close to port would be most appreciated. I looked at some but was a bit overwhelmed with trains and luggage and everything else...

I would book before final payment, but I think you'd be safe waiting until the new year. Most people don't even plan before making final payment. 

Alaska excursion can be smaller in numbers, which is why they sell out. They can also be expensive if aircraft are involved. I'd try to do one big one and then find ways to save on your other excursions, but a flight seeing or landing on a glacier are truly once in a lifetime experience. 

4 hours ago, whitsmom said:

We are trying to decide on our excursions. My TA told me that they sell out fast and not to wait too long. We don't cruise until July 13 2018. My question is, do we need to hurry up and make our minds up or what?  

Also, we will be flying into Vancouver the day before so any suggestions on hotels fairly close to port would be most appreciated. I looked at some but was a bit overwhelmed with trains and luggage and everything else...

The sooner the better that way you are not disappointed it they are sold out.  Ive stayed at the Hyatt before in downtown. Only 5 minutes to the port. 

Do the Harv and Marv whale watching tour.  You are not on a big boat like the ones you book thru RC.  If memory serves me its like 10 people on the boat.  it is breathtaking to look straight at a whale and not down at one from twenty feet up.  Also it is worth every penny doing a helicopter tour and landing and hiking on a glacier. The helicopter pilots are former military pilots.   We stayed at the Pan Pacific hotel in Vancouver . It is located at the cruise port terminal.   It may seem pricey but everything in Vancouver is expensive.   We disembarked in Vancouver and stayed at the Pan Pacific for 3 nights.  We walked off the ship and right into the hotel.  Worth the cost of not doing taxis etc.  Definitely book the tours way in advance as they are small and can fill up fast.  

8 hours ago, RoyalLaker said:

The sooner the better that way you are not disappointed it they are sold out.  Ive stayed at the Hyatt before in downtown. Only 5 minutes to the port. 

Thanks!  I wasn't sure how close the port was to "downtown" as that can be a broad area for someone who has never been there.  I want to get hotel reservations early too.

21 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

Do the Harv and Marv whale watching tour.  You are not on a big boat like the ones you book thru RC.  If memory serves me its like 10 people on the boat.  it is breathtaking to look straight at a whale and not down at one from twenty feet up.  Also it is worth every penny doing a helicopter tour and landing and hiking on a glacier. The helicopter pilots are former military pilots.   We stayed at the Pan Pacific hotel in Vancouver . It is located at the cruise port terminal.   It may seem pricey but everything in Vancouver is expensive.   We disembarked in Vancouver and stayed at the Pan Pacific for 3 nights.  We walked off the ship and right into the hotel.  Worth the cost of not doing taxis etc.  Definitely book the tours way in advance as they are small and can fill up fast.  

I would LOVE to see whales up close and personal; however, hubby refuses to even consider a helicopter tour... I will check our the Pan Pacific hotel also as walking distance would be awesome.

Did Alaska Southbound in 2014.

Juneau: Took a bus to Mendenhall Glacier. Bought the ticket after getting off the ship. Also happen to be the only day with any type of rain, even then it was just a mist/drizzle at time. Rain was more annoying type than anything. After getting back, wondered around the port area.

Skagway: Tour with Beyond Skagway. Bear sighting

Icy Point: Whale watching, don't recall the name of the company. Might have been Marvs.

Ketchikan: Walked around and saw the Lumberjack Show.

Spent the night in Vancouver. Stayed at the Fairmont Pacific Rim (free due to credit card offer). Could have walked from the port, wasn't charged for the cab ride (did give the driver a "thank you").

We were on the Radiance on the Southbound route out of Seward at the beginning of the 2016 cruising season, the concierge booked the Skagway White Pass train for us while we were on board, no issues.  We might have just been lucky, that is one excursion you don't want to miss!  Next time we go in 2019 we will definitely catch the whalewatching tour at Icy Straight.

We did the Harv & Marv's whale watching tour in Juneau.  HIGHLY recommend it!  It was by far the highlight of our trip.  The boats are much smaller and you get a more personalized experience.  Plus, the bus driver that takes you to the dock for whale watching gives you a nice driving tour of Juneau on the way to/from the dock.

I will say in Skagway, almost all of the tours available via the cruise line are also available for purchase (minus the cruise line's nominal fee) right in town.  Some are sold out, so it really depends on what you want to do.  My advice is do your research on TripAdvisor and decide what tours you want to take and book accordingly.