using a foreign booking rate

I was helping a friend book a cruise so I chose another country's view on RC's website.  Out of curiosity, I converted that rate to US dollars, and the room is cheaper than on the US view of the website!  Is there any reason I, an American, CAN'T book my room via that country's page? 

3 minutes ago, PRMLVM said:

I was helping a friend book a cruise so I chose another country's view on RC's website.  Out of curiosity, I converted that rate to US dollars, and the room is cheaper than on the US view of the website!  Is there any reason I, an American, CAN'T book my room via that country's page? 

Not really. I live in Portugal and regularly book on the US website. I have also booked on the UK website in the past.

However - and it's a big however - it means you are subject to that country's booking rules which may not be as attractive to you (e.g. no repricing, fees to make any changes such as names, etc.). Also, you won't be able to transfer your booking to a US travel agent, if that's something you might normally do.

So be very sure you check all the ins and outs before going ahead.

The above response seems to cover your question, but fwiw, my SIL (American) has a cruise booked with a Canadian TA in CAD because he didn't have group space left in his US group for that cruise but he did have space left in his Canadian group.

One other thing you may want to check/factor in is if there will be any foreign currency fees if you're paying with a US credit card.

One other consideration, once you book in a foreign currency/site, will that effect your choices in cruise planner for excursions/dining/etc?  Those may also need to be purchased in the foreign currency with different rules for repricing/cancellation.  Does Royal run the same type of cruise planner sales in other countries?  If those currencies fluctuate, will the excursions change prices in a way that negates the savings on the cruise itself?  Lots of fun questions!

8 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

One other consideration, once you book in a foreign currency/site, will that effect your choices in cruise planner for excursions/dining/etc?  Those may also need to be purchased in the foreign currency with different rules for repricing/cancellation.  Does Royal run the same type of cruise planner sales in other countries?  If those currencies fluctuate, will the excursions change prices in a way that negates the savings on the cruise itself?  Lots of fun questions!

Very much so!  I hope those who have purchased a cruise via this option will chime in and answer!  For myself, I went to that country's site and clicked on the booking contract to see if the fine print was amenable, and was immediately informed "Your Cruise Ticket Contract and/or Booking Conditions applicable to your cruise...is based on YOUR PRIMARY COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE."  Their caps, not mine.    So if I have to put in US, I'll have to see how that affects the booking cost now.