Family Cruise Room Suggestions

Hello fellow cruisers!

*I realize the ship will dictate the room options but we are very flexible right now.  Looking for general thoughts and reasons why to help me decide.  Thank you!

I'm currently trying to plan a 4-5 night cruise with my husband, two children (at the time of cruise will be 1 year old and nearly 3 year old), set of in-laws (mother in law, father in law), and my mother.  What would you recommend for room breakdown?  Would you recommend a 2 bedroom suite for my family of 4 + my mother?  Would you recommend my family of 4 pick a spacious room of some kind (ultra spacious ocean view, JR suite, anything else?) and my mother pick a balcony despite paying for two but only 1 person in room.  My mother prefers to cruise with a balcony.  My in-laws are going to want the cheapest room possible as that is how they roll in general.  I know that will likely be an inside room.  While I'd like to near each other, if we went the suite route, that would likely split us up more than other room combinations.  Please let me know your thoughts and why you suggest that.  While I've cruised with my husband several times, this will be a first time with children.  I'll take all the tips you have to share.  We will be flying to the cruise destination as we live in the Midwest.

I would put the children in the room with your mother, then you and the hubby can have alone time 😂.  But seriously no need to have her pay the double, even if you put the 1 year old in her room but had him/her sleep with you it my be cheaper.  Obviously what you feel comfortable from a price stand point could change things.  If I could afford it, I would probably do the 2BR suite you mentioned with your family of 4 and mother.  But I can almost guarantee that will be significantly more than doing either 2 balcony or a balcony and interior for the 5 of you.  You could even do connecting balconies and then you are right there with the kids if need be, and can open up the balcony dividers for more space.  You could then also get an interior across the hall if you wanted to be close together.  I would use a travel agent and have them price out a few options for you.  

I think the 2 bedroom suite would be amazing for your family plus your mom. We have stayed in these with extended family on both older and newer ships and loved the combination of extra space and two bathrooms. You also get extra suite amenities. The challenge with your group being in a suite and your in laws being in an inside room will mostly be that you will not be able to include them in the amenities that you can use (depending on the ship suite lounge, suite sun deck coastal kitchen, etc). If you wanted to make sure you could all do the same things then  you could also do two connecting balcony rooms (your in laws still being in an inside) which would likely be less expensive. Others could probably comment whether booking one of your children into your mothers room in name would allow her to avoid the single supplement fee. 

A connecting cabin for you and hubby-it will have an interior door that you can keep open.  That gives you 2 bathrooms and privacy plus a place to chill if the kids are napping., no need for a fold out couch and you’d have a spot for a playpen or portable crib (not sure what the ship offers for the 1 yr old.) and a place to park a stroller!  Additionally if it’s 1 adult/1child in a cabin only 1 adult would have to buy an alcohol package if that’s something you were thinking of-otherwise 2 adults in a cabin means 2 alcohol packages-unless you make a call to Royal to book and give a reason why the 2nd person doesn’t drink-and then they have to buy the refreshment package if one buys the alcohol package.  If you have connecting promenade interiors (they are offered in other categories too) you also get a window seat and a view! I never did a balcony with my kids (sailed with them age 9 and up….afraid of something going over).   These interior promenades are midship so reduced motion -book closer to the aft elevator -less traipsing the kids up to the windjammer or the dining room than if you book forward. . Your in-laws might appreciate a promenade interior-if not regular interiors could be just down the hall.  On some sailings the promenade interior is about a $40 per person upgrade or a bit more/less based on availability and ship.  Your mother could book a balcony across from the promenade. 
while it might seem a good idea to book one of your kids with your mother to save $ if your mother cancels for some reason you are “short a spot” for that kid. Your cabin would likely hold 3if you only book 3 into it, same for your in-laws so to bring the 2nd child back could possibly mean repricing for a cabin that holds more.  (Though with a 1 year old they MAY be able to waive the need for a cabin that holds 4-or so I’ve read. )

if $ is a concern you could book a cabin that holds 4-potentially book when kids sail free….but it’s 1 bathroom.  You might find some larger interior or promenade-they are very rare. 

When looking at various ships check the sizes of cabins if considering a single cabin.   

15 hours ago, CruisinUpinLife said:

Would you recommend a 2 bedroom suite for my family of 4 + my mother?  Would you recommend my family of 4 pick a spacious room of some kind (ultra spacious ocean view, JR suite, anything else?) and my mother pick a balcony despite paying for two but only 1 person in room.

I think there is only one solution. The Ultimate Family Suite on Symphony or Wonder (I don't know how big it is on Icon). On Wonder the additional bedroom could even fit your in-laws. On the other had if you are star class and the in-laws have an inside room that could also be an advantage when they sadly can't join you at coastal kitchen or the suites sundeck or ...

Personally, I would recommend staying in 3 balcony rooms all next to each other and you pay for your in-laws.  I think your in-laws would be very appreciate of the kind gesture and this way some of you aren't receiving suite perks while the in-laws aren't.  

Budget and needs will play a big part here, as will timing.  You say you are flexible but some of the options are in very low supply and sell out during  schedule deployment.  

We regularly travel with multi-generational (i.e. 2-4 grandparents, 2 parents 2-3 kids).  The GT/OT/A1/A2 suites would all be great options for you provided you dont mind sharing what will still be a relatively small space.  It's definitely doable, but your mother would probably end up on the pull-out couch and would not really have her "own space."   However, everyone would get suite benefits (or Star benefits if you are in A1/A2).

3 connecting rooms will be cheaper and end up giving you more individual space.  2 Rooms could be possible and will give you the best bang for the buck but will be...cozy. 

One of the "family style" rooms is of limited benefit to you unless one or more of the grandparents want to share an (admittedly larger) space with your immediate family. 

I would recommend setting an overall budget (and also checking individual budgets of anyone involved, if applicable) and then pick a ship based upon what it important to your family.

With a similar crowd we have tried: One GT + 1bedroom balcony on a voyager class (this actually worked great but only because the suite concierge gave my in-laws suite perks) One GS with a connecting balcony on Oasis (again worked because we put kids in the connecting room and therefore no one really missed out on perks).  We had an A2 booked but it was a COVID casualty but we had a chance to view the A2 and it definitely had the space for 7.

We have a cruise coming up with a GT + GS on another Oasis class.  They are side-by side and should be able to connect through the balcony

This is an almost impossible question to answer without knowing budget and ship class. The 2 BR suites are significantly more expensive on Oasis class ships than they are on Voyager/Freedom... They also come with a lot more benefits as well, but that may be of no use to you. 

There are endless possibilities. The 2BR suite might not even be the best one in your situation. Do you want your kids sleeping near you... Or would you prefer them in a different room altogether, if possible? 

You could get connecting rooms with your mother and make up your own suite-like combo that may be better.

Use this site 

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/

To really understand all the options on your ship of choice.