Alaska with kids age 7 and 9

Shaburr

Quantum class ships are definitely better choice for kids based on the Seaplex alone, in my opinion, and Quantum class ships do have an indoor pool.  I think the Radiance class ships only have outdoor pools where kids are allowed (Solarium pools are supposed to be adult only).  The ports of call are probably equivalent though some may offer excursions that might be more appealing kids.

I think only the Radiance class ships do the northbound/southbound cruises from Vancouver to Seward and back. 

For an easy comparison, you can check out the following videos 

Here are the RCL Blog YouTube tour for Radiance  

and Ovation 

Hope that helps.

Some things children might enjoy ....

Skagway - White Pass & Yukon Route Railway - Adults and children alike will probably love this scene train ride - it is a one of a kind adventure

Icy Point Straight - Forget paying for whale watching - bring binoculars ... at times whales will surface right at the pier.

If you land tour ---

Denali - dog sled training center

Fairbanks - paddle wheel boat river trip

Any opportunity to ride the Alaska railroad

Ovation was perfect for us. My kids were a little older than yours, but really enjoyed the indoor pool and seaplex. Whitepass in Skagway was fantastic. We got off about half way up at Laughton and hiked for a bit then caught the train back down. I booked direct and saved quite a bit. It is a short walk from the pier to the station. 

https://wpyr.com/excursions/product/skagway-to-laughton-round-trip/

My 5 and 8 year olds had a blast on Ovation last summer. We all did bumper cars, ifly, indoor pool and kids "toilet bowl" outdoor pool and hot tubs, butterfly interactive art wall, ate at wonderland and both enjoyed adventure ocean. 8 year old did rock climbing, roller skating and sushi class.  For excursions, we did mushers camp in Skagway, Sea plane/Taku lodge lunch in Juneau, private tour in sitka (fortress of the bear/rapture center), all were excellent for the whole family.  

Thanks everyone! 

We will go Quantum Class now for sure and now I just have to figure out if it's best to book last minute or a year + out.

My daughter really wants to do Flowrider.... She is 49.5" tall now so not quite the 52" minumum. 

I know they would LOVE the We Will Rock You, Queen show on Anthem. They sure do  love the Queen songs on the radio haha.

1 hour ago, Shaburr said:

Thanks everyone! 

We will go Quantum Class now for sure and now I just have to figure out if it's best to book last minute or a year + out.

My daughter really wants to do Flowrider.... She is 49.5" tall now so not quite the 52" minumum. 

I know they would LOVE the We Will Rock You, Queen show on Anthem. They sure do  love the Queen songs on the radio haha.

Definitely book now,  waiting to book last minute, the ship could be fully booked and the prices will likely go up, there's been very few last minute deals lately.   

I booked a cruise on Harmony for October '25,  on the day it was released,  price has already gone up over 30% in just a few weeks.

6 hours ago, Shaburr said:

Thanks everyone! 

The better excursion also sell out. Book them early and if you see something you want to do book it, keep looking and cancel as needed. Just remember to check policies on cancellation. Alaska is amazing! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2023 at 10:36 PM, TessFromFlorida said:

Ovation was perfect for us. My kids were a little older than yours, but really enjoyed the indoor pool and seaplex. Whitepass in Skagway was fantastic. We got off about half way up at Laughton and hiked for a bit then caught the train back down. I booked direct and saved quite a bit. It is a short walk from the pier to the station. 

https://wpyr.com/excursions/product/skagway-to-laughton-round-trip/

We want to do this same thing. What train departure time did you do?