1st cruise option from Galveston

MeganChurch

I am brand new to cruising, experiencing my first 3 day Bahamas cruise from Miami on Freedom of the Seas last weekend. It was my sisters bachelorette, but I came to understand why everyone loves cruising so much very quickly!

I was so impressed by the hospitality and the food quality within the included meal experiences. Also, just how nice the ship was, even though I know it’s an older member of the RC fleet.

Coming back from cruise #1, my husband and I have discussed doing one now that I have given it the “go” from my experience. We live in southern TN, only about 2 hours from Atlanta, so flying to any of the southern US ports is pretty reasonable price wise. It doesn’t make much of a difference if we go out of FL, TX, LA etc. I found 2 sailings in May that peaked my interest. Our anniversary is May 23rd and we have traditionally gone to Isla Mujeres Mexico for an amazing land vacay. There are two 7 Day Western Caribbean sailings from Galveston with identical itineraries (Cozumel, Roatan and Costa Maya).  One is on Mariner of the Seas and the other on Harmony of the Seas. I understand the major differences of the ships (pros/cons) but my question is, for a first time cruiser (and me a fairly new cruiser) which ship would suit us best?

I understand this is very objective, but looking for general thoughts and opinions from those who have done these sailings or similar, especially with a first timer. We enjoy all the entertainment elements, bars, restaurants and just exploring in general. I guess my biggest fear about Harmony would be the crowds, since it is such a big ship compared to my recent experience on Freedom. However, looking at 7 nights with multiple port explorations, along with the Harmony features, it has definitely peaked my interest. Cost is very similar, so it is really more about what will give my husband the best first time cruise experience!

Open to all thoughts and suggestions!! Thanks!! 

Megan

Hi @MeganChurch  You can't go wrong with either of those 2 ships.  Mariner is of course the older of the 2 and the smaller.  On Harmony, it does hold more people, but the neighborhood concept really dilutes any crowding.  You might feel it near the elevators as shows let out or during the dinner hours.  I combat that by using the stairs.

I would choose Harmony because of 1 thing.   Central Park.  It's my favorite place to be.

Show wise, Harmony is going to have 2 Aqua Shows, 2 ice shows and 2 "Broadway Style" shows (Columbus and Grease).  Mariner has (I think) Gallery of Dreams and an Ice Show.

You would have a great time on either ship.

I do encourage you, even though you are out ahead of this, to engage the services of a Travel Agent.  They can do many things for you and you will never pay more for your cruise, but a big benefit is you often can pay less if they have group space on the cruise.  I work with MEI who sponsors this blog and they very often have group space on the cruises we're interested in and the result is a really big discount vs RCI website pricing.  Sometimes the availability of group space can help break a deadlock decision like you have today, sometimes it's not available, but even then you don't pay more.

On a cruise I'm taking next month MEI group pricing resulted in a 23% savings on the exact same cabins vs RCI website pricing the very same day.  That's just one example.

You're husband will love either ship.  Come back and tell us how it all worked out.

I think it depends on what you want and, of course, budget.  

Harmony has more going on. More shows. More venues. More dining options. More people. More. More. More. If you're looking for a vacation with constant activity, this is the ship for you.

Mariner is smaller but very similar to Freedom. It's basically the same layout with very similar venues and experiences. With that being the case, you should be able to draw on your Freedom experience for an idea of what it will be like. Personally, I find a ship of this size to be a perfect blend of relaxation and activity.

I'm sure you'll enjoy either ship.

Having been on both ships I would recommend Harmony for a first time cruiser. It will depend on what your and his likes are however. If you want a laid back sit by the pool and not a lot of entertainment time then Mariner is your ship. If y'all are looking for more entertainment options then Harmony is the choice. You cannot go wrong on either one and once he experiences his cruise he will be hooked.

• I like smaller ships like Mariner for long cruises like Trans-Atlantic cruises.  More intimate and I see the same people for my 14-day cruise.  
  • I like larger ships with lots of things to do on my 7-day cruises.  More to do and see.  I am not as concerned about meeting new friends.
  • I try to stay away from 3- and 4-day cruises; they are just too short.

Note:  Be prepared that Galveston port is 1 hour drive from the airport.  There is lots of transportation, but it is much different than Miami or Fort Lauderdale.