Did you like the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins tour?

happy cruisers 2

We've been to Costa Maya several times and have never done the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins tour that RCI offers.  I'm looking for input from those who have done this 4-hour tour.  The description mentions an air-conditioned bus and a drive of around one hour each direction.  In the past, our concerns were HOT and HUMID weather and feeling "stuck" somewhere in miserable climate that we'll have to endure.  What kind of bus is used?  Also, how are the roads?  Are they decent, or are they not recommended for a bad back?  I have an image in my mind of the transportation and the "roads" to get there and maybe I am totally wrong.  I'd love to hear your experiences and whether you liked it or not.  Our next cruise to Mexico is in May.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Villageidiot said:

We did this tour in February but not through RCI. We booked with Native Choice and really enjoyed the tour. Native Choice was very reasonably priced and the guide was excellent. The bus was modern and air conditioned. Roads were good IIRC. Plenty of shade at the ruins.

I can second that report on Native Choice, took more than 20 of my group with them last week on this tour. The roads were decent the buses were nice we were actually split into two mini buses of about 15 seats each. Cost about half of what Royal Caribbean wanted for essentially the same tour the only catch being that as an outside supplier you have to walk through the entire shopping area exit onto the city street and go about another two blocks down the road to their meeting point. Would heartily recommend to anyone who doesn't mind the extra walk, hell the walk from the ship off the pier into the shopping center is longer in itself then the walk up the street once you hit the pavement.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My family did the ruins tour Christmas of 2022, I booked through Trip Advisor, though not sure which company and we really liked it. I have a 17yo and a 9yo, it gave them a small bit of history and some run around time. We did see monkeys and stopped on side of road for some local ladies to come and sell some fresh cut mango's and pineapple (which was delicious). I think once you do the tour there wouldn't really be a reason to do it again though. We go back on the same itinerary in a few weeks for a spring break trip and are looking at other options. 

IMG_4250.jpg

We did the RC Exclusive Drive tour last month.  We really enjoyed it.  We were in a 12 person air conditioned bus.  It is essentially the same as the other tour with the exception of a much smaller group.  There were only 9 of us in the group, as opposed to a full large bus group.  Our guide did a great job of keeping the information flowing throughout the ride there and back to the ship.  We were given a guided tour around the ruins while she explained the history of the ruins.  Our guide set us up with the best picture locations at various spots and took each family's pictures, so no selfies necessary.  Being in a small group, we were able to ask many questions and get a lot of information. We were given cold water to take with us on the walk. Then on the ride back, our guide and driver had a cooler full of beer, soda and more water for us. If you are looking for a smaller group setting, this in the one to choose.  We were able to get a fantastic deal for Black Friday, so figured we would try it.  Great choice!