Cruising to Hawaii

Good evening, I booked the cruise of our lifetime and we are super excited about it.  We are going to take the 1 way from YVR to HNL in Oct of 2024.  I have been to Hawaii many times for work and once for vacation during college.   I’m excited to show my wife and kids Maui and we plan on staying a few extra days in Honolulu when we get there.  They have never been.

My question is what would you recommend for a RCCL excursion in Maui?  My original idea was to rent a car and show them some beaches and then drive up to the top of Haleakala on day 1.  I then was thinking about booking the Hike and Waterfall excursion through RCCL on day 2 in Maui.  Has anyone done that excursion?  Would you recommend something different for a 10 and 7 year old?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

@twangster has given me solid advice in the past and I would appreciate if you could chime in on your experience there too please.  

Thank you! 

18 hours ago, Crazycruiser50 said:

Ahhh, I just realized it says Lahaina.  I thought we were docking in Kahului.  RCCL will probably cancel the Maui stop then.  I seriously doubt they will re-build within a year.

Well, that’s a bummer!

Many excursion for Maui are not in Lahaina itself but a short bus ride away.  

Royal hasn't cancelled future stops there because the community will rebuild and the community will need tourism to return in order to recover.  That process has already started and it will continue over the coming months and years.  What happened was a terrible tragedy but like natural disasters in other places the community will deal with it and recover.  

What that looks like exactly for your travel dates isn't known right now but it will be as it gets closer.  Be patient but understand that being a tourist that boards a bus and goes somewhere nearby does help the community.  It provides local jobs and helps them move past this tragedy.