Buffet Service

nettlevodka

Hi, first timer here 🥺 

Never been on a cruise.  We're on the Serenade of the Seas, next April, Japan, Vietnam and Singapore.  

Just a quick question about the buffet... are the various choices put onto your plate by a staff member, or do you each grab the spoon/tongs and serve yourself? 

(Just coming from the angle of food hygiene)

Cheers and thanks

Michael   

6 hours ago, nettlevodka said:

Hi, first timer here 🥺 

Never been on a cruise.  We're on the Serenade of the Seas, next April, Japan, Vietnam and Singapore.  

Just a quick question about the buffet... are the various choices put onto your plate by a staff member, or do you each grab the spoon/tongs and serve yourself? 

(Just coming from the angle of food hygiene)

Cheers and thanks

Michael   

Just about everything is done by you, with tongs and spoons.  They may have a carving station or omelet station that is done by staff, but other than that- it's a lot of touching by others

More than you asked, but here's my advice.  Carry a little bottle of sanitizer and use it before eating.  We were on a cruise not too long ago where there were sanitizer dispensers present in the food area, but NOT in the seating area.  For us, we want to use it just before we sit down to eat.  Look out for your health and realize that not everyone does the right thing.  

On 11/4/2023 at 1:23 AM, nettlevodka said:

Thanks happy cruisers 😁

I guess we're thinking of what might have fallen into the serving trays from hands and coughs etc. 

I know! If we're overly worried, don't go on a cruise! 😜😜😜

first off, happy cruise on serenade!! she is a BEAUTIFUL ship. we loved her. the crew is FANTASTIC aboard, you will have a wonderful time.

second - your mileage may vary, but what i typically do when visiting the windjammer or solarium buffet-style places (and they are not frequent stops for me, for the reasons you listed 😂😞) is:

• i begin by washing my hands VIGOROUSLY. after, i grab two sets of rolled up cutlery -- they will have your fork, knife and spoons wrapped in a cloth napkin. 
  • you can sometimes time it so that you get the "fresh" batch of hot foot (that hasn't been touched by the general public), but more often than not, what i like to do is use the second napkin as a cover over my hand when grabbing the tongs, etc.
  • then (yes i am aware i am ~extra) once i am done grabbing my selections, i wash my hands yet again.

after having done all that, it's in the universe's hands 😂

11 hours ago, asquared17 said:

first off, happy cruise on serenade!! she is a BEAUTIFUL ship. we loved her. the crew is FANTASTIC aboard, you will have a wonderful time.

second - your mileage may vary, but what i typically do when visiting the windjammer or solarium buffet-style places (and they are not frequent stops for me, for the reasons you listed 😂😞) is:

• i begin by washing my hands VIGOROUSLY. after, i grab two sets of rolled up cutlery -- they will have your fork, knife and spoons wrapped in a cloth napkin. 
  • you can sometimes time it so that you get the "fresh" batch of hot foot (that hasn't been touched by the general public), but more often than not, what i like to do is use the second napkin as a cover over my hand when grabbing the tongs, etc.
  • then (yes i am aware i am ~extra) once i am done grabbing my selections, i wash my hands yet again.

after having done all that, it's in the universe's hands 😂

This is extra... 😀

Screenshot_20231106_232853_Amazon Shopping.jpg

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

it SURE is 😆😅 

but at least i have the peace of mind that i’ve done all i could not to expose my hands to errant germs 😂

I actually did this- brought disposable gloves- when we went on our first post-COVID cruise and things went back to serve yourself 😅 I thought my kids would die of embarassment. Now I use the papertowel "trick"- I grab some from the washy washy station after I scrub up. Who wants to shell out thousands of dollars for a trip just to get sick from a salad tong? 

10 hours ago, Kevin C said:

You serve yourself. Wash your hands. Wash your hands. Wash your hands. The last cruise we were on there were hand washing stations and staff members encouraging guest to wash their hands. Unfortunately I saw plenty guest walk right pass them. Wash your hands!!

People are funny, but they are free to make their choices and I prefer that even if I don't love it when their choices don't make sense to me.  In our clan we can control our own hands and the germs we introduce and pick back up.  We washy washy on the way in and sanitize after a trip for food.

You're going to love Serenade! She is such a lovely ship, and you can find so many random little places to sit and watch the scenery go by. I kept a little bottle of sanitizer in my pocket for buffet trips. Sanitize walking in with the crew, and hit myself again before actually eating. Little things to keep my germs to myself and to hopefully keep others' germs away.