Something to do in St. Maarten

jperse

Hello everyone,

My first trip to Saint Maarten, is coming up in a few days. After reading a lot reviews here and blogs for the island we decided to take a taxi to the butterfly farm, and then go to orient beach which is right next to it. The only issue is that I have 9 hours there, and no idea where else to go. While I know it's not necessary, to spend the whole time on the island, is there anything else that I should not miss? We love nature stuff, and a little bit of cool historical places. Normally we aren't big on shopping, but if there's some neat stores around a certain area we would check it out. If you can, try to be exact enough that i could relay it to a taxi driver, or google it, and not end up lost. Thank you!

1 hour ago, jperse said:

Hello everyone,

My first trip to Saint Maarten, is coming up in a few days. After reading a lot reviews here and blogs for the island we decided to take a taxi to the butterfly farm, and then go to orient beach which is right next to it. The only issue is that I have 9 hours there, and no idea where else to go. While I know it's not necessary, to spend the whole time on the island, is there anything else that I should not miss? We love nature stuff, and a little bit of cool historical places. Normally we aren't big on shopping, but if there's some neat stores around a certain area we would check it out. If you can, try to be exact enough that i could relay it to a taxi driver, or google it, and not end up lost. Thank you!

Well, there is the nudist beach on the French side of the island. That's about s close to nature as you can get!.....and it's free:27_sunglasses:

I recommend Bernard's Tours, especially if it's your first time there.

http://www.bernardstours.com/

Do tour II and you'll have about 90 minutes at Orient Beach.

Otherwise, my recommendation is, take a taxi to Marigot, get some chocolate croissants at Sarafina, walk around the Marigot jewlery shops and the waterfront market.  Then take another taxi to Orient beach.  Pay $20 for a chair, umbrella, maybe a drink.  Stay there for as long as you want and then take a cab back to the ship.

1 hour ago, BrianAlt said:

Otherwise, my recommendation is, take a taxi to Marigot, get some chocolate croissants at Sarafina, walk around the Marigot jewlery shops and the waterfront market.  Then take another taxi to Orient beach.  Pay $20 for a chair, umbrella, maybe a drink.  Stay there for as long as you want and then take a cab back to the ship.

I was going to post this as well.  We did Bernard's last year and they will take you all over, including the butterfly farm, an iguana farm-like place, Maho, Orient Beach, Marigot...

The prior year, we just took a taxi to Orient Beach and spent most of the day there.  If the weather is nice, that is a great place to relax!

Another recommendation here for Bernard's.  They take you all over the island, give you beach time, shopping time, eating time, etc.  Very smooth operation, our driver was very nice and knowledgeable, and they pick up and drop off right outside the cruise terminal.  Worth the cost.  

4 hours ago, BrianAlt said:

I just looked into Bernards tour, it looks quite comprehensive, cheap, and it's rated at #2 on trip advisor. From their website, it looks like they don't go to the butterfly farm though, and that's a deal breaker for the girlfriend.