Dining packages

Kevin C

12 hours ago, Kevin C said:

Do the dining packages increase or decrease as you get closer to your cruise date? Or do they stay the same? I'm pretty sure we don't want to wait until the cruise to book them because I'm sure they go up then.

Both can and will happen.  Royal's package prices usually hover in a fairly consistent space with some occasional fluctuations.  Sometimes it's because of a sale, sometimes it's just random.  Your best bet in buying anything off of the Cruise Planner is to just buy what you're interested in whenever it is at a price you're comfortable with, but then keep monitoring the price!  If it goes down after you buy it, you can always cancel and rebook at the lower rate.  The only caveat is to be sure to call in to rebook on items that may sell out.  There have been tales of people who cancelled online to rebook the lower price, and by the time they rebooked, the excursion or package had sold out.  Doing the exchange live with an agent is far less convenient, but it eliminates that possibility.

If I have a dining package, it seems like I have to wait until I get on the ship to book my meals in specialty restaurants, but if I don't buy the package, I am able to make and pay for individual specialty restaurant reservations from home.  Why is that?  Doesn't that cancel out the incentive to purchase the specialty restaurant package? 

45 minutes ago, Dan81275 said:

If I have a dining package, it seems like I have to wait until I get on the ship to book my meals in specialty restaurants, but if I don't buy the package, I am able to make and pay for individual specialty restaurant reservations from home.  Why is that?  Doesn't that cancel out the incentive to purchase the specialty restaurant package? 

No because the individual specialty restaurant purchases work out to more money per purchase. Part of that privilege is being able to book meal day/time in advance. The package comes at a discount so the trade off for that is having to wait till you board to make specific reservations.

2 hours ago, Doug_Texas said:

Another weird cruise planner effect is dining package will “sell out”, show up on cruise planner as “sold out” for a while, then disappear entirely from cruise planner only to reappear weeks later (only sometimes) as available for sale again.  

I don't understand how this is weird. People change their minds all the time.  It could be sold out as that's what happens. Then people can cancel and it's available.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I don't understand how this is weird. People change their minds all the time.  It could be sold out as that's what happens. Then people can cancel and it's available.

I guess the point is that the Cruise Planner might be improved to include a waiting list so that in anticipation of future cancellations one could get into a queue.  Perhaps a down-the-road change....

2 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

That's not what is going on.  One cruise the 3 Night Package "sold out" within a couple of hours.  I called RCL to inquire if it was actually sold out or an IT issue.  They told me to keep checking cruise planner because they will put it on sale again.  Probably want people who book cruises later in the calendar to have a shot at the package as well.  Plus the marketing benefit of constantly having people check back on cruise planner.

21 hours ago, Doug_Texas said:

That's not what is going on.  One cruise the 3 Night Package "sold out" within a couple of hours.  I called RCL to inquire if it was actually sold out or an IT issue.  They told me to keep checking cruise planner because they will put it on sale again.  Probably want people who book cruises later in the calendar to have a shot at the package as well.  Plus the marketing benefit of constantly having people check back on cruise planner.

That sounds more like a phone agent misinterpreting a question (which happens ALL the time).  Putting something "on sale again" could be interpreted multiple ways depending on the agent's grasp of English and Royal's policies.  The website could put something "on sale again" by running another same/different promotion for a package at some "discounted" price but that doesn't mean it is available to purchase for your specific cruise.  The website could put something "on sale again" because someone has canceled their purchase and the package is now available again for your specific cruise.  Both are valid interpretations and both, one, or neither could occur multiple times between now and your cruise.  Thus, all you can do is check the cruise planner repeatedly.