Refreshment package for an 11 year old, will staff serve him alone?

Sludog

We are sailing on Oasis this fall and we purchased a refreshment package for our 11 year old son. He doesn't drink soda but he likes juice, smoothies, and shakes so we figure it would be good value and maybe he can get a can of coke for mommy once or twice too. My wife and I prefer to purchase our Alcohol drinks Ala carte so we didn't buy any drink packages for ourselves.

My question is, will our son be able to get his own drinks by himself lets say a shake at Johnny rockets or maybe a mock-tail or smoothie at the pool bar or should we have the package moved to one of our names and order beverages for him each time so they don't hassle him each time. One time at the pool bar last cruise my son tried to order pineapple juice and was denied and the bartender told him one of his parent needed to be with him because he needs to pay since he didn't have a drink package. Not sure if this was just a disgruntled bartender or he was enforcing ship policy that kids cant buy drinks with the sea pass because other bartenders served him juice and charged his card no problem. 

Just to make sure I understand, he did not have a drink package on the previous cruise? Did his card have charging privileges? If there was no drink package, and you did not authorize charges on his card, then it seems the bartender would have been right. 

We get the refreshment package for our kids and they use it without us with no problem or push back.

Yes they can order on their own with Refreshment package.  it sounds like either you had charging privileges restricted for him before.

Kids at order counters everywhere tend to get pushed aside in favor of adults, but we use it as an opportunity to teach our youngest about tipping.  After a few times of his $1 tips on his Virgin Miami Vice's, he has no problem getting service.

Mommy should also buy her own coke a la carte or bring some when boarding up to the allotment.

On 9/16/2023 at 4:14 PM, melmar02 said:

Just to make sure I understand, he did not have a drink package on the previous cruise? Did his card have charging privileges? If there was no drink package, and you did not authorize charges on his card, then it seems the bartender would have been right. 

We get the refreshment package for our kids and they use it without us with no problem or push back.

Yes he had no drink package but no charge card restrictions on his sea pass. Only one bartender and the pool bar gave him a hard time twice. every other bartender greeted him warmly and served him and a few times he didn't even get charged for the juice he ordered. although they may have recognized him bring the son of the parents who tip cash even time they order drinks. 

On 9/16/2023 at 5:22 PM, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

My grandkids were able to order any kind of drink whenever they wanted and wherever they wanted…even at a bar!  They all had the refreshment package and never needed any of us adults with them.

On 9/17/2023 at 6:04 PM, BobbieS said:

My son never had any issues using his drink package without an adult being present. 

Awesome news and thanks for the response. We will keep the drink package in his name for the trip. 

12 minutes ago, TimeRacer said:

Both of my kids (8 and 11) had no problems walking up to any bar to get a drink on their drink packages on our last cruise. We were on Serenade, and the bartenders at our two favorite bars even learned what drinks the kids liked, which made my youngest feel extra special and seen.

My nieces (13 & 9 on our last cruise) enjoy using their D vouchers themselves & had a similar experience in June.