General curiousity about sailing speeds

GinMcNaughton

Hi there! This is more in the nature of a curiosity question. The distance between Nassau and CocoCay is pretty short overall. If the cruise ships leaves Nassau at 5pm and arrives at CocoCay at 7am is it just cruising really slowly? I can’t see that the ship would expend extra fuel if it didn’t need to. OR does it dock much earlier, in the middle of the night.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Welcome to the message boards!

Your assumption is correct, the ships sail at very slow speeds between Nassau and CocoCay. They won't dock early, just take their sweet time getting there.

Thanks for confirming, @Matt. I was partially curious as the only other cruise we’ve done is the Alaskan Inside Passage. I found that my motion sickness really increased when we topped 20 knots so a slower speed is awesome news to me. One of the reasons we’re trying Oasis in April is to see if a larger ship will affect me less. 😉

Generally a bridge crew will operate just above a required speed calculated for that leg until they are far enough along to be certain they'll make it on time without any doubt then they reduce speed to arrive at the time specified by the local pilot to reach the pilot station.

Specific to Nassau to CocoCay I've seen a ship come to a stop with no propulsion and I've seen a ship do lazy patterns to keep moving at a slow pace.  If they need to cycle the environmental tanks that requires motion I believe.  It they are in or near a busy shipping channel they may keep some speed on for maneuverability in case another ship comes too close for comfort.