Everglades Eco-Adventure with airport drop-off (MIA) - anybody done this before?

Bazza

Hi all

We are on Oasis in February and our flight back to UK is not until around 7pm.

Originally had an excursion booked with RCI which was going to be about 5 hours starting at 09.30 so MIA about about 14.30-15.00. Perfect.

Email yesterday to say it has been cancelled, so all that I am left with through RCI is the hop on/hop off bus, a tour we did this year, for about $130 each(!) or the Everglades one (about $65 each).

Everglades one is appealing BUT it says it is 08.30 start and only 4 hours so that would mean very early to MIA. Even with lounge access 6-7 hours is a lot of time to kill!

Firstly - has anybody done this excursion before, and if so, is it worth it? 

Secondly - any other suggestions for the day? Preferably without incurring multiple uber costs! We have never 'stored' luggage at the port so any tips on that would be appreciated if we did arrange our own stuff from Bayside. Google lists a few places but wondered what the experts did!

Many thanks

First of all, if the Everglades one is showing on your cruise for around $65pp, book it now to lock in the price, even if you're not sure you're going to do it. For my cruise on Symphony in February it's jumped from $66 to $83pp! You can always cancel for a refund if you ultimately decide not to do it.

On to the excursion itself, we have done this particular excursion twice, although the most recent time was back in 2019, so pre-Covid. It's enjoyable and convenient. I think we arrived at the airport somewhere around 1.30 pm - 2 pm, so that's going to be a bit earlier than your original excursion.

There is luggage storage at the ariport so you could potentially leave your bags there and then head to Bayside for a couple of hours, either using Uber/Lyft or the public transport system.

https://www.miami-airport.com/library/baggage-storage-rates.pdf

Another option might be to get a hotel room for the day. We have used the Pullman Miami Airport in the past.

https://all.accor.com/promotions-offers/product-services/owm014377-001-day-use.en.shtml

Other posters on the boards have used dayuse.com to source a hotel for the day. I haven't used them myself so can't give a personal recommendation.

Three weeks ago I booked with Everglades holiday park directly. It may be the exact same place royal takes you but provides a bit more flexibility. They picked up at the port (very easy to find, bright orange van with lots of communication) and dropped off at the airport an hour or two later than the excursion through royal. You’ll still be very early for your flight. If you call them and nobody else has booked that date then you can also add on the animal encounter which is what makes the excursion longer. We had private transfer in a wonderfully air conditioned van and a guide that stayed with us and gave us water bottles.