Cancel cruise before 90 days- what happens to the deposit?

Last Lion

If you cancel a non-refundable deposit, then you will lose the entire deposit. (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-cancel-a-non-refundable-deposit-reservation-what-refunds-apply).  So, what you want to do is to make a "change" to your ship and/or sailing date.  You will need to pay $100 per person to make the change to a different sailing of your choosing.  So using your words, you must "transfer it to a new cruise booking immediately".

Canceled a January '24 5 day on Mariner. No rebook. Deposit forfeited (good news such as it is) the  reservation was booked on a reduced deposit promotion so it wasn't as much as it could have been...........not that we can toss $$ out the window. Decided to wait til later in the year and placed a reservation on "Brand HAL" to check out a small ship experience.

PS: Anyone have recommendations on where to shop for a single trip insurance plan? Most important consideration is preexisting condition coverage and better medical and evacuation coverage than the weak plan offered by HAL.

18 hours ago, instaGator said:

If you cancel a non-refundable deposit, then you will lose the entire deposit. (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-cancel-a-non-refundable-deposit-reservation-what-refunds-apply).  So, what you want to do is to make a "change" to your ship and/or sailing date.  You will need to pay $100 per person to make the change to a different sailing of your choosing.  So using your words, you must "transfer it to a new cruise booking immediately".

Yes this is what we did when we cancelled our Alaska cruise for June 2024 and changed it for Canada cruise for June 2024.  We only lost $100 each instead of the entire deposit (8 people). 

10 hours ago, Xaa said:

I do believe for most pre-existing condition coverage though you have only like 48 hours to book the insurance after you book the trip. So don't delay.

Thanks for the info.  That preexisting condition waiver is as elusive as the tooth fairy. Skimmed policy documents from multiple insurance companies. So many hoops to jump through it's virtually impossible to qualify; like nailing jello to the wall. Most companies I checked that offer it and/or cancel for any reason riders require policy purchase within 20 days of the initial booking payment. Thanks again for the assistance.