Medical Emergency/Helicopter Rescue on Saturday-Brilliance Of The Seas

On the last day of our Alaska cruise on Saturday morning (August 5) the Captain announced that there was a serious medical emergency onboard which required the passenger to be removed by helicopter. We were in Canadian waters and in some of the worst fog I have ever seen on a cruise. After a while past the announced pick up time he reported it would be delayed for 20 minutes or more because of the fog. Eventually a huge yellow helicopter appeared, it was way too big to land on the helipad, so they lowered apparatus on a cable to complete the task. While you could watch this on your cabin TV a bunch of the people were crowded around the large screens in the Schooner and Colony Club, etc. No word was ever reported (to my knowledge) of the final patient outcome.

While I hate medical emergencies for those involved - and I wish a speedy and thorough recovery for anyone who was injured or ill - I do LOVE a helo-vac off a ship.  So exciting and fun to watch.  I know they are dangerous and never under pleasant circumstances (except when Santa comes - and he arrives mostly by tenders these days).  I have so much respect and admiration for those who are in the medical evac field.  God bless 'em.

We have seen several helicopter evacs on cruises.  And on 1 cruise they actually fueled the helicopter with a plane in mid-air right off our cabin.  They were not close enough to land for the helicopter to carry enough fuel. I always hope that everyone involved are safe and recover. 

On 8/8/2023 at 12:04 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

while I hate medical emergencies for those involved - and I wish a speedy and thorough recovery for anyone who was injured or ill - I do LOVE a helo-vac off a ship.  So exciting and fun to watch.  I know they are dangerous and never under pleasant circumstances (except when Santa comes - and he arrives mostly by tenders these days).  I have so much respect and admiration for those who are in the medical evac field.  God bless 'em.

@WAAAYTOOO I’ve never admitted it.  I’ve witnessed 3 with a flood of emotions. I pray for the all involved but still feel guilty about the exhilaration and adrenalin I feel watching the finely tuned execution of heroic (often life saving acts)….🙏🏽  

• 1 month later...