tips on transportation from Venice to Explorer of the Seas

Flying into Venice a few days prior to a cruise to Greek Islands, Croatia, and Montenegro.  We will be on the Explorer of the Sea's and the port is approx 2-3 hours away, any suggestions from anyone who has made this trip for places to stay in Venice and transportation to and from port?

Our cruise on Explorer from Ravenna (Venice) is Oct 22-29, so we haven't done this, but here's our plan. 

We are arriving in at Marco Polo Airport at 1830 on October 19, staying two nights in Venice, then taking the train to Ravenna and staying for one night. 

Taking the train from Venice to Ravenna does require a change in either Bologna or Ferarra.  From looking at the Trenitalia website, I've seen travel times ranging from just over two hours to just over three hours depending on whether or not you take the high speed train for your first leg.

Our B&B host in Ravenna has reserved a ride to the port for us at 1100 on embarkation day. He has told us that taxis are not plentiful in Ravenna, and our online research seems to validate this information.

The roll call thread for our cruise over on CC is full of talk about the Royal Caribbean shuttle from Venice to Ravenna, as well as talk about a Royal Caribbean shuttle from the Ravenna train station to the port.  The bottom line seems to be that if you want the shuttle from Royal, call them (or go through your travel agent). 

^^^Cruise Like @teddy ^^^ 

This is exactly how you plan and execute your European cruise vacation!  He has spent some time on YouTube and Google maps.

BTW, I suggest taking the vaporetto to get to your hotel, the dock is a short walk from the airport. Anything but luxurious, but when in Venice.....

57 minutes ago, bobroo said:

^^^Cruise Like @teddy ^^^ 

This is exactly how you plan and execute your European cruise vacation!  He has spent some time on YouTube and Google maps.

BTW, I suggest taking the vaporetto to get to your hotel, the dock is a short walk from the airport. Anything but luxurious, but when in Venice.....

Grazie mille!

The internet really has changed traveling….Google maps and watching people’s experiences really are game changers.  

Just did cruise from Ravenna. Be prepared, taxi are extinct.

Port operates quite differently.  Don't worry about check in times; however, luggage drop off can't happen until entire prior sailing is totally off ship.  Also there is no area outside to wait until "gates" open.

It was roughly 1045 before would start taking luggage and didn't get inside for check in until 11am.  No separate check in for Key, suites etc.  Everyone was put in a make shift room and boarded by rows.

Buses among buses hauled people away.  If haven't booked return, best to book when 1st board ship because slots sell out and Royal requires to know everyone's departure plan with scanning QR code. Leaving ship was breeze on last day.  Very organized.

Also if staying in Ravenna, no Uber either and if took train there be prepared for distance to main square where majority of hotels are located and restaurants.  It's cobblestones so dragging suitcases can be troublesome.

Restaurants were quite reasonable and open late nightly.

If flying into Bologna, taking the macaroni to Bologna center, better to buy tickets ahead.  Only 2 ticket booths with lines and 1 was broken day i did it.

Also be prepared Bologna airport took 45 minutes to get luggage from flight.

Train from Bologna center to Ravenna wasn't a bad ride.  Have to buy tickets upstairs in convenience store or do it online ahead of time.

People who came from Venice complained it was too long ride on bus and waiting for everyone.  One described it as looking like refugees by time arrived at port in Ravenna and totally exhausted.  Traffic was bad so took much longer.

If i dare to do another itinerary outta Ravenna, would fly into Bologna and hop train.  Easier and not switching trains like you have to from Venice.

We recently took cruise for 2 weeks in Greece.  We stayed several days in Venice before cruise.   We took water taxi, very close to airport, to hotel in Venice.  Then another water taxi to the transit center in Venice to get a bus, operated by Royal Caribbean, to Ravenna cruise terminal.  The ride is 1-2 hours.   We took the Royal Caribbean bus back to Venice airport after the cruise.  Worked out very well.  If we do that cruise again, I would do the transportation the same way. 

I flew into Bologna and out of Marco Polo in Venice. The Bologna transfer is much, much easier! Super fast and you have the option of taking a very inexpensive and quick train ride or taking the Royal Caribbean shuttle from either the airport or train station. 

Royal Caribbean also has a shuttle from either Marco Polo or city center in Venice.

13 hours ago, Linda R said:

We recently took cruise for 2 weeks in Greece.  We stayed several days in Venice before cruise.   We took water taxi, very close to airport, to hotel in Venice.  Then another water taxi to the transit center in Venice to get a bus, operated by Royal Caribbean, to Ravenna cruise terminal.  The ride is 1-2 hours.   We took the Royal Caribbean bus back to Venice airport after the cruise.  Worked out very well.  If we do that cruise again, I would do the transportation the same way. 

What hotel did you stay at?  Is the water taxi doable with luggage? How much was the water taxi from the hotel to transit center.We are already booked on the shuttle. We are a party of 12and I read there was a shuttle from the airport to venice.

7 hours ago, MLH said:

What hotel did you stay at?  Is the water taxi doable with luggage? How much was the water taxi from the hotel to transit center.We are already booked on the shuttle. We are a party of 12and I read there was a shuttle from the airport to venice.

We stayed at Hotel Rialto, excellent location.  I would definitely stay there again. Since you have to take water taxi (no cars) you also take your luggage.  The driver loads and unloads your luggage for you. 

The shuttle to Venice has to be water taxi of some sort. Am not sure if 12 can fit on one boat but I do think there was room inside boat for 12.  There was just 4 of us and we had lots of space.  But mostly wanted to sit in back outside for the view.   We paid about $150 I think.  Well worth it.  Loved having a private taxi and would do it again. 

Just now, Linda R said:

We stayed at Hotel Rialto, excellent location.  I would definitely stay there again. Since you have to take water taxi (no cars) you also take your luggage.  The driver loads and unloads your luggage for you. 

The shuttle to Venice has to be water taxi of some sort. Am not sure if 12 can fit on one boat but I do think there was room inside boat for 12.  There was just 4 of us and we had lots of space.  But mostly wanted to sit in back outside for the view.   We paid about $150 I think.  Well worth it.  Loved having a private taxi and would do it again. 

The water taxi to transit center was less money as not as far as the airport.