Confused

romelio

The RCCL  specialty dining reservations system makes no sense to me. We are going on a cruise in September with a party of 7 people on 3 different reservations. We all want to do one specialty restaurant together, so the other two reservations purchased that restaurant and made the reservation for the day and time we agreed on. But..... my wive and I want to do Chops Grille and the other restaurant. But since we bought it on a package I have to wait until I'm on the ship to make the reservation. I even called and spoke to RCCL on the phone and that is what was told to me. I asked what happens if we get on board and there's no more reservations available for that restaurant for that time. She said that their system doesn't allow them to do anything because we purchased it as a bundle, Chops +1. The only solution she had was to cancel the bundle then buy each restaurant individually which defeats the whole purpose of purchasing the bundle to save 20 dollars per person. 

@romelio If you decide to keep the Chops +1 the first thing you should do is head straight to a specialty restaurant and make that reservation as soon as you board.  That will be your best chance to get a reservation.  If you just have to have that time slot on that day you would be best to book that restaurant separate.    

On 6/15/2023 at 7:22 PM, romelio said:

The RCCL  specialty dining reservations system makes no sense to me.

It makes complete sense.  They allow those who pay the individual price access to the reservation slots open prior to boarding.  They of course prefer the higher rate and want to provide benefit for those who choose ton pay it.

The discounted package rate will still likely result in you getting reservation selections that are quite suitable to you once you get on board.  For your situation though, it is a risk with having to be able to add to the one time slot.  Especially if it's one in really high demand.  

In your shoes, I think I would make a firm booking with my friends and forgo the $20 savings, but that's really up to you.

I've never booked a dining package, but just tried for our 2024 cruise. Royal does mention it on the page where your reserve, they don't hide it.

Important details and advisements

A courtesy reservation will be made for Day 1 or 2 of your sailing.
All additional reservations or changes to your courtesy reservation must be made once onboard at any specialty restaurant.