Brand new ships vs. Amplify older ones

14 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

FWIW, there are rumors that RC will be building a new class roughly the size of Voyager class. These would be the future “small” ships.

Just something I’ve read. I’m no expert on this sort of thing.

Let's hope the rumours are correct, not all of us want huge mega ships with many thousands of passengers, we love the Royal experience but prefer the smaller ships. Kids have flown the nest so no need for all the bells and whistles.

11 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

FWIW, there are rumors that RC will be building a new class roughly the size of Voyager class. These would be the future “small” ships.

Just something I’ve read. I’m no expert on this sort of thing.

I could definitely see that just being a rumor (especially since the larger ships generate so much income for the cruise line) - but I would be thrilled if they did that. 

8 minutes ago, KLA said:

I could definitely see that just being a rumor (especially since the larger ships generate so much income for the cruise line) - but I would be thrilled if they did that. 

You could be completely right, of course. I believe the logic (or one possible reason at least) supporting it is that the mega ships can't service certain ports/areas and Royal may not want to abandon them once the older, smaller ships age out and are retired.

Curious about the engine fuels. When on Jewel last November, we took the behind scenes tour (some of the best money we spent on the cruise I thought). Naturally full of questions, I asked the engineer on duty in the engine control room if a lighter fraction of fuel oil is used since the motive power is supplied by turbines. As I recall, he said the turbines are run on #6 oil and the complete fuel complement for the ship consisted of #6 oil and gasoil, which I understand to be a lighter fraction with a bit less sulfur. He even quoted the quantity of each and I do remember the #6 quantity was greater than the gasoil. Coincidentally, the ship bunkered in Bonaire a day or two earlier, but don't know what was taken on. The engineer did explain the #6 oil goes through a water separation and pre-heat process similar to the diesel engines prior to combustion.

3 cruises under our belts, the wife wants a good time, I wanted to learn how the ship works more than she did; the whole operation from propulsion to people fuel and everything in between overwhelms me. How does any cruise line do it???? 🤔