Voom WiFi - Internet (no Surf) - Cost For Each Additional Device - Per Plan - Per Day

Zipper

Hello RC Cruisers - Found piles of information on the cost of Voom Internet per day.  Found piles of information regarding the option to add additional devices onto a Voom Internet plan for a bit of cost savings.  I've found zero information on the cost per device to add onto a Voom Internet plan per day.  You would think this would be an easy question for the official RC website to answer...unfortunately, their site has difficulty even providing the cost per day for a single device on one of the Voom plans.  For example:  What is VOOM and how much does it cost? https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-internet-wifi-device-policy  Really?

I understand there are always sales and discounts that affect the price, and that the cost of the plans are "always changing".

I will appreciate it very much if someone can relay a "usual" discount for an additional device per day...or their cost experience if within the past six months.  If it helps, the ship we are considering is the Allure, Dec 2023, 3 nights.

For on-board communication we heard one can use the RC app, however, I also heard that the app needs to remain continuously open in order to receive a text...and if the recipients app is not open, the text will drop into a black hole and neither sender or recipient will know that the text delivery failed. 

Cheers and thank you in advance for taking the time to reply!

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Like all on board purchases, the cost can be and usually is different for every cruise.

And you don't need to have the app open to get a text. It's the notifications for the text that may go into a black home. But the message will be there.

I think @Zipper was referring to the free, in-app chat/message feature rather than typical text messages. In that case, the app would need to be open. Notifications for those, in-app messages is usually non-existent, with some random exceptions. 

OP - I don't know that any of us will be able to really answer your question because, as @smokeybandit said, the price changes for each cruise and also at different times. If you have a cruise booked, you just have to just keep checking your cruise planner. The price for the 1 person - 2 devices, as @Ampurp85 said, is usually not double the cost for one, and there is sometimes an additional discount when you get to 1 person - 3 or 4 devices (but not always!). If you are just adding the second person as a 2 person - 1 device package, it will just double the regular one person-1 device price. 

If you can wait until Thanksgiving to purchase, that might be the best deal you'll find. If I can remember, I think it was advertised as $12.99 for the first and $11.99 for additional lines, so you saved a dollar per day by doing 1 person, multi device. First, there was a glitch that made the checkout price too high, not as advertised, and when they fixed it, I think there was a different glitch, because I got the 1 person package with 4 devices for $10.99/line/day. I've never seen it that low otherwise and I doubt I'll ever see it again. 

I also don't know if you can just add a line on with the 1 person packages, unless paying the full price for the second person and having separate log ins. You'd have to cancel the original purchase (1 person-1 device) and instead, purchase the other package for 1 person - 2 devices. If you got your first package for a really good price, it might not make sense to cancel it and buy something else. You'd have to do the math to see if it makes sense. 

Sorry we cannot be more helpful. I wish this stuff was easier as well...

To see the price of multiple devices:

1. Go to your cruise planner and click on Internet

2. Click on surf and stream, this will take to a page that says add guest and all guests in the room are present.

3. If you want more than one device at discount select only one guest.

4. Underneath guest name you select will be the ability to select 1,2,3or 4 devices. Selecting more than one will generally lower the price on each device together. For example on my next cruise, internet package is 20.99 pp/pd for seven days at $146 but 2 devices is $230 for 16pp/pd. My cruise is still some distance out but just using it for explanation.

Thank you all for the replies.  For planning purposes, I'm going with Ampurp85's ballpark on the ~25% discount per additional device (as long as it's a single username and password).

Thanks jbrinkm, I'll need to dig a bit more into exactly how the RC app works for text communication.  I'll need the Internet access to monitor my datacenter activities/alerts (yea, datacenter management is a 24x7x365 day job), but the RC app may work for the basic "where are you right now on the ship?" type communication for the rest of the family.  I'll need to determine if when the app is open, but minimized, and the screen is locked and the phone is in your pocket...will an RC text be received and the recipient notified of incoming text?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer these inquiries!

I can do you one better - here is a Cruise Planner for a December 2023 cruise on Allure. Change the date in the URL to your actual date for more specific prices. Just make sure you aren't logged in to access the Planner - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/account/cruise-planner/category/internet?bookingId=&shipCode=AL&sailDate=20231201

Sailing Allure Jan 29 2024

On past Allure cruise I have purchased a separate one device package for both my husband and I ....Then at night switched the device to the ipad (or laptop)....... Couldn't I buy a two device plan (which is less expensive than us both purchasing 1 device plans) and have device #1 be mine (cell during the day and switch device #1 to ipad at night) and do the same for him? Device #2 (his cell during the day and he switch device #2 to his ipad at night)

Am I thinking this correctly???

Yes, you can do this. A 2 device plan simply means you can have 2 devices logged in at one time. Logging off your phone and logging on your IPad is not difficult. I prefer using my iPad during the day usually while relaxing and then log off and onto my phone in the Evenings which I carry with me.