xSAILEDx Wonder of the Seas June 4 - June 11, 2023 (7 night Western Caribbean & Perfect Day)

Figured I'd start a Roll Call for this one...

This is a "bonus" family cruise for us after my generous FIL had such a good time on last year's family cruise (we normally take one every 5 years as the anniversaries of my wife's parents, her sister, and our own are fairly close together (May-June) and different multiples of 5 years apart).

My FIL splurged last summer b/c it was their 50th (our 20th) and got us all suites on Harmony. Now he's spoiled and when he learned about the suite neighborhood on Wonder he booked this cruise shortly after we got back from the last one.

Anyway, it will be wife's parents, us (mid-40's, no kids), and my SIL/BIL (mid-40's) along with my 13 and 9-year-old nieces (who you may find hitting the bars as frequently as I do to use their Diamond vouchers on virgin daiquiris 🤣).

We may not leave the ship except for Cococay (love it there and we have a Beach Club cabana after getting an OTW cabana last summer before prices went nuts). Don't love Cozumel, did have a great time at a smaller all-inclusive beach club in Costa Maya before but with suite lounge access & Diamond drinks, paying for drinks on land seems a bit redundant. We were supposed to tour Roatan in 2019 but the ship was unable to dock due to high winds which was a big disappointment. We still want to go but may save it for when it's just us and we're not in a suite. When we cruise without the extended family we do things very differently (i.e. frugally, different eating habits, etc.)

I am not ashamed to say I cruise primarily for the ship's amenities and the food & drink, especially since we've spent 20 years going around the Caribbean because it's just too damn convenient to drive an hour to Port Canaveral to go anywhere else. (With the exception of our 2018 Alaska adventure which was our best vacation ever.)

Anyway, that's us. Looking forward to all that Wonder has to offer that we haven't experienced on the other Oasis-class ships (along with long-standing favorites).

• 4 weeks later...

Yay, the suite neighborhood! We are in a CLS and will be doing #CK nightly. Curious and excited to hear about your experiences. We are staying the night before at the Residence Inn driving over from Tampa. You are going to have the best time. 🙂

22 minutes ago, Neesa said:

Yay, the suite neighborhood! We are in a CLS and will be doing #CK nightly. Curious and excited to hear about your experiences. We are staying the night before at the Residence Inn driving over from Tampa. You are going to gave thr best time. 🙂

Thanks for taking pity on my empty roll call. 🤣 I'm responding in yours so I'll cut this response short and ramble over there.

Want to have added fun and be an even bigger hero to your nieces? Bring some ducks along for them to hide, I can't tell you how much fun and joy this brings. Sometimes we hide them and sit nearby and watch the joy they give. Duck hunting is truly an experience! This little batch I picked up on Amazon. 

20230512_092646.jpg

Ahoy there! It will be me and my daughters (age 10 & 15) on this cruise. It's a birthday gift for my 15 year old. Oh who am I kidding I probably wanted to go more than she did! We are all super excited and looking forward to all there is to do and see on this ship. We've been watching tons of youtube videos in preparation. I remember how far away this trip seemed when I first booked it a year ago. I can't believe we are only 3 weeks away!

19 minutes ago, Elisag said:

Ahoy there! It will be me and my daughters (age 10 & 15) on this cruise. It's a birthday gift for my 15 year old. Oh who am I kidding I probably wanted to go more than she did! We are all super excited and looking forward to all there is to do and see on this ship. We've been watching tons of youtube videos in preparation. I remember how far away this trip seemed when I first booked it a year ago. I can't believe we are only 3 weeks away!

Welcome! I had given up hope on anyone else actually on this sailing posting, lol.

Hi everybody! I’m sailing with my husband and two teenage boys. This is only our second cruise. The first being after the restart. During that cruise we couldn’t book show reservations until we got on board so I thought that was the norm. I just noticed yesterday that entertainment is now in the app and you can book it. The only problem, every show is full. I can’t make a reservation for anything. Does this mean we can’t see any of the shows? Or should I just keep checking back? I’m so bummed 😔 any advice is much appreciated!

8 minutes ago, LisaLou said:

Does this mean we can’t see any of the shows? Or should I just keep checking back? I’m so bummed 😔 any advice is much appreciated!

First, welcome to the roll call. Take a breath, you'll be fine.

1. They hold back a certain amount of reservations for booking onboard. So once you get on the ship, there will be a "box office" set up somewhere. Go there to make reservations. You can also try to do it on the app.

2. There is a standby line for every show and you can almost always get in that way. You don't even have to show up especially early, maybe 15-20 mins before showtime. 10 minutes before they will let you in.

3. One exception... the adult comedy show is in a very small venue. That's the one show for which you do want to have reservations. Even those have a standby line but less people will be let in from that standby line due to the small venue.

Hope that puts your mind at ease. If you have any other questions, fire away!

4 hours ago, LisaLou said:

Thank you Mike! This makes me feel so much better. Are you heading to Playmakers to watch OCSC that week? We’ll probably head there if FC Cincinnati has a game that week. I haven’t looked yet. 15 DAYS!!!

You’re very welcome.

Even with the avatar I’m lucky if someone knows what OCSC is from my name, lol. Unfortunately Playmakers won’t have MLS on since it’s on Apple TV. No one else in my family is a fan anyway so I’d be watching alone. Love the food there though.

I’ll avoid opening any sports apps the night they play & just watch the replay on my phone later… if I’m awake after a week of eating, drinking & having fun since it will be the last night.

OC is too damn frustrating so far this season to watch on a cruise anyway. We can’t all be leading the East. Congrats on the start. Big turnaround for you guys. I’ve cruised during a few World Cups & watched the US play. That can actually generate a small crowd & be pretty fun.

17 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

OC is too damn frustrating so far this season to watch on a cruise anyway. We can’t all be leading the East. Congrats on the start. Big turnaround for you guys.

Mike, can you now say something positive about Sporting this season. I would love to see your creativity 🤣

Well I don't know too much about MLS, sorry.😬 But if the Florida Panthers make it to the Stanley Cup, they better have it on somewhere or I'll be a very unhappy hockey fan. Lol I've been waiting for them to get back to the finals since the last time they were in the finals 27 years ago! Can't think of anything that would make this amazing cruise better. Watching my team win would be the cherry on the sundae. 🍨 😁

On another note... does anyone know how the private karaoke room works? Do I need to reserve as soon as I get onboard? Any idea on price? My daughters would love to do karaoke but they're too shy to do it in front of strangers so I figured this would be a nice way to do it. 

10 hours ago, Elisag said:

Well I don't know too much about MLS, sorry.😬 But if the Florida Panthers make it to the Stanley Cup, they better have it on somewhere or I'll be a very unhappy hockey fan. Lol I've been waiting for them to get back to the finals since the last time they were in the finals 27 years ago! Can't think of anything that would make this amazing cruise better. Watching my team win would be the cherry on the sundae. 🍨😁

On another note... does anyone know how the private karaoke room works? Do I need to reserve as soon as I get onboard? Any idea on price? My daughters would love to do karaoke but they're too shy to do it in front of strangers so I figured this would be a nice way to do it. 

I would expect to find a major event like the Stanley Cup finals available in Playmakers (great food if you've never been and not overpriced). Years ago they showed the NBA finals on the big screen in the Aqua Theater (when there wasn't a show going on of course).

Can't help you with karaoke, sorry.

6 minutes ago, Elisag said:

Thanks for the info. Haven't been to Playmakers but after seeing some videos I'm looking forward to trying that campfire cookie. 🙂

Burger with garlic parm fries was very good on Indy (and only $9, which I find oddly low for a good sized bacon cheeseburger and fancy fries, but I'm not complaining). Also liked the onion rings and many people seem to like the wings.

I'm also a big fan of 2 specialty drinks there... The Pitch (modified Long Island) and Goalpost Margarita (jalapeno pineapple).

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Burger with garlic parm fries was very good on Indy (and only $9, which I find oddly low for a good sized bacon cheeseburger and fancy fries, but I'm not complaining). Also liked the onion rings and many people seem to like the wings.

I'm also a big fan of 2 specialty drinks there... The Pitch (modified Long Island) and Goalpost Margarita (jalapeno pineapple).

Will definitely try the onion rings!

I'm also thinking of taking my kids to Izumi sushi for lunch one day. They want to try sushi for the first time. Any recommendations? Nothing spicy... we can't do spicy. Lol Thanks again. 😊 

50 minutes ago, Elisag said:

Will definitely try the onion rings!

I'm also thinking of taking my kids to Izumi sushi for lunch one day. They want to try sushi for the first time. Any recommendations? Nothing spicy... we can't do spicy. Lol Thanks again. 😊 

I actually don't do much specialty dining and have never eaten at Izumi, sorry. The dining staff at any venue is usually happy to recommend things though so perhaps ask them. Or maybe if you have a sushi-loving friend/family member, show/read them menu from the app and get their opinion.

I love it but I don't get to eat sushi very often b/c my wife won't go near it, lol. I glanced at the menu and their rolls seemed a bit more than your basic tuna or salmon so it would depend on which of the other ingredients you all do or don't like (asparagus, cream cheese, avocado, etc.) Maybe they will make more basic rolls upon request.

Just don't order all fried/tempura type stuff. Anything fried is delicious but if your kids really want to try sushi, they need to try actual raw fish. 😁

EDIT: I didn't see the "Chef's Sushi Selection." I'd at least go with one of those as it's like a sampler of basic sushi.

34 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I actually don't do much specialty dining and have never eaten at Izumi, sorry. The dining staff at any venue is usually happy to recommend things though so perhaps ask them. Or maybe if you have a sushi-loving friend/family member, show/read them menu from the app and get their opinion.

I love it but I don't get to eat sushi very often b/c my wife won't go near it, lol. I glanced at the menu and their rolls seemed a bit more than your basic tuna or salmon so it would depend on which of the other ingredients you all do or don't like (asparagus, cream cheese, avocado, etc.) Maybe they will make more basic rolls upon request.

Just don't order all fried/tempura type stuff. Anything fried is delicious but if your kids really want to try sushi, they need to try actual raw fish. 😁

EDIT: I didn't see the "Chef's Sushi Selection." I'd at least go with one of those as it's like a sampler of basic sushi.

Will do. Thanks 🙂

There are now TWO launches scheduled for tomorrow morning...

SpaceX is targeting Sunday, June 4 at 5:56 a.m. ET (09:56 UTC) for a Falcon 9 launch of 22 second-generation Starlink satellites to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.

SpaceX is targeting Sunday, June 4 for Falcon 9’s launch of Dragon’s 28th Commercial Resupply Services (CRS-28) mission to the International Space Station from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The instantaneous launch window is at 12:12 p.m. ET.

4 minutes ago, Neesa said:

This time tomorrow you will be enjoying a most WONDERful vacation! Have the best time. Happy Cruising!!!!

**Don't forget Coastal Kitchen has a most relaxing embarkation lunch:)

Thanks!

My lunch usually includes more than one location, lol. Not sure what the family will want to do.

We'll probably be on the suite deck watching the launch at 12:12 as long as it goes off. I'll probably grab something before and something else after.

9 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

There are now TWO launches scheduled for tomorrow morning...

SpaceX is targeting Sunday, June 4 at 5:56 a.m. ET (09:56 UTC) for a Falcon 9 launch of 22 second-generation Starlink satellites to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.

SpaceX is targeting Sunday, June 4 for Falcon 9’s launch of Dragon’s 28th Commercial Resupply Services (CRS-28) mission to the International Space Station from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The instantaneous launch window is at 12:12 p.m. ET.

Oh that's great. Maybe we'll get to see it from the ship. I just got to one of the hotels near the port and can see the cruise ships from my room window. Can't wait till tomorrow! 😁

18 minutes ago, Elisag said:

Oh that's great. Maybe we'll get to see it from the ship. I just got to one of the hotels near the port and can see the cruise ships from my room window. Can't wait till tomorrow!

It should be very cool to see from the ship. I'm just hoping traffic isn't too bad in the morning.

Enjoy your view of the ships!

• AshleyDillo changed the title to xSAILEDx Wonder of the Seas June 4 - June 11, 2023 (7 night Western Caribbean & Perfect Day)