GTY balcony/Royal UP offered?

RCIfan1912

25 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I'm curious if you are in a GTY balcony are you even offered to participate in the Royal UP program? We sailed twice last year and was offered it on both but we were in a GTY. Just curious because I'd be interested in bidding up with being in a GTY balcony. 

People do get the chance to participate even with GTY bookings but it's better not to bid until you have your room assignment because potentially your room assignment could be better than the room you bid on and then if you win your bid you'll be downgraded and get to pay for the privilege.

Just to exemplify: say you have an inside GTY and you bid on an OV. In the meantime you get assigned a balcony cabin but forget or don't have time to cancel your RU bid, which you win, and suddenly you've paid extra for an OV cabin when you had a balcony at no extra cost.

14 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

People do get the chance to participate even with GTY bookings but it's better not to bid until you have your room assignment because potentially your room assignment could be better than the room you bid on and then if you win your bid you'll be downgraded and get to pay for the privilege.

Just to exemplify: say you have an inside GTY and you bid on an OV. In the meantime you get assigned a balcony cabin but forget or don't have time to cancel your RU bid, which you win, and suddenly you've paid extra for an OV cabin when you had a balcony at no extra cost.

Oh wow I didn't even think of that. The only category I think I'll bid on is a Junior suite. That's what my plan is now at least. Thanks for the heads up though. Great advice. 

There is a bit of a risk with bidding on a RU with a GTY cabin.

With a GTY, you are guaranteed at least the baseline (lowest level) of the specific category for which you pay....IOW, if you "buy" an Ocean View Balcony GTY, you are guaranteed at LEAST a balcony category, but could be awarded anything from an OVB all the way to the Royal Suite (highly unlikely, but a possibility).   So, let's say you paid for an OVB GTY and they then award you a GS...but you have placed a RUB for an JS.  If you win the JS RUB, you will, in essence, be downgraded from your GTY award (which was a GS) to a JS.  This scenario is pretty remote, but I have heard of it happening before.

If you do decide to do a RUB on a GTY category, just be sure that you keep on top of it and if your GTY award is higher (or equal to) your RUB, you must cancel your RUB immediately or face the possibility of actually paying to be downgraded !!

14 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Oh wow I didn't even think of that. The only category I think I'll bid on is a Junior suite. That's what my plan is now at least. Thanks for the heads up though. Great advice. 

Glad to have helped. I did actually read a report from someone who experienced precisely this scenario. In the end they kicked up such a stink that they managed to get the cost of their bid refunded but the nice room that they'd got from their GTY booking was gone because the system had immediately reallocated it to someone else. 😕

16 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

There is a bit of a risk with bidding on a RU with a GTY cabin.

With a GTY, you are guaranteed at least the baseline (lowest level) of the specific category for which you pay....IOW, if you "buy" an Ocean View Balcony GTY, you are guaranteed at LEAST a balcony category, but could be awarded anything from an OVB all the way to the Royal Suite (highly unlikely, but a possibility).   So, let's say you paid for an OVB GTY and they then award you a GS...but you have placed a RUB for an JS.  If you win the JS RUB, you will, in essence, be downgraded from your GTY award (which was a GS) to a JS.  This scenario is pretty remote, but I have heard of it happening before.

If you do decide to do a RUB on a GTY category, just be sure that you keep on top of it and if your GTY award is higher (or equal to) your RUB, you must cancel your RUB immediately or d=face the possibility of actually paying to be downgraded !!

I'm confused. A Junior suite is definitely an upgrade over a regular balcony GTY? Am I missing something? 

14 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yes...you are missing my point.

They award you a GS for NO additional money and yet you pay a RUB for JS...so you are paying to be downgraded.

Ok, now I'm thinking twice about this in general now. Maybe stay away completely in this scenario. I won't know my cabin till very late in the game. There is a trick right by the luggage tags or something to know earlier? 

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Ok, now I'm thinking twice about this in general now. Maybe stay away completely in this scenario. I won't know my cabin till very late in the game. There is a trick right by the luggage tags or something to know earlier? 

The "bar code trick". Once you've checked in you can use a bar code scanner to read the bar code on your setsail pass. The last 4 or 5 digits at the end after the hyphen correspond to your number. If it's not been assigned yet you'll see GTY.

If you use Apple devices, adding your setsail pass to your wallet should also reveal the numbers.

39 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

The "bar code trick". Once you've checked in you can use a bar code scanner to read the bar code on your setsail pass. The last 4 or 5 digits at the end after the hyphen correspond to your number. If it's not been assigned yet you'll see GTY.

If you use Apple devices, adding your setsail pass to your wallet should also reveal the numbers.

Wow, that's interesting. That is still very far off, cruise is October 19. So August I can do this trick. I don't use Apple devices, Android guy. 

26 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Wow, that's interesting. That is still very far off, cruise is October 19. So August I can do this trick. I don't use Apple devices, Android guy. 

Yup. Of course, you may already have been informed of your assignment before then, in which case you won't need it this time round, but it's handy to know. I admit I haven't tried it myself yet but I have a GTY booking for early July that's still unassigned so perhaps this will be my chance. 😂