how much to tip tour guide/driver

SFLcruiser

Depending on the length of the tour and the amount of interaction that the guide or driver provides we usually tip between $10 - $20 but that really depends on what it is.

I have tipped tours to the ruins on the Mexican mainland much more than that when I felt they really added a lot of information but that is truly an exception.  For local tours of an hour or 2, $20 is about all I will do.

How about for the crew of a sailing / snorkeling trip? I was thinking $30 - $40 for our all-day trip we'll be taking in St. Maarten, as we're a family of four and the trip is 6 hours total. After reading the recommendations above for a tour guide, I'm wondering if I'm a little low and should be figuring more like $50 - $60.

42 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

How about for the crew of a sailing / snorkeling trip? I was thinking $30 - $40 for our all-day trip we'll be taking in St. Maarten, as we're a family of four and the trip is 6 hours total. After reading the recommendations above for a tour guide, I'm wondering if I'm a little low and should be figuring more like $50 - $60.

I think in general when it comes to tipping, you should tip what you feel comfortable with. I think a lot of it depends on the cost of the trip. $10 to $15 a person sounds reasonable. I'm a hard one to judge though, as I always over tip. I guess it's just from years of working in the hospitality field, where so many people live off their tips.

• 3 weeks later...