Disembarking in Canada

Hi Matt!

In late September we'll be sailing on the Quantum of the Seas for our first Alaskan cruise.  (Can't wait!)  We noticed that we depart from Seattle but disembark in Vancouver.  Is there anything special we should have prepared to do or be aware of with us returning to a different country then where we sailed from?  Or should we expect the same process and documentation (passports, sea pass card) that we are used to providing for a cruise that starts and ends in the US what will occur here too?  Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Assuming you are a US citizen, the process is similar to entering the country via plane.  You will have to complete a declaration card and pass through customs using your passport.  They will probably ask a few questions to see how you react, like how long are you staying, where are you going, and so on.  But generally, it is not a rough process, but I would allow some time to clear the custom's process.  If you frequent Canada, you could apply for the Trusted Traveler program which streamlines clearing customs -- similar to Global Entry in the US.

1 hour ago, DoomSlayer said:

Assuming you are a US citizen, the process is similar to entering the country via plane.  You will have to complete a declaration card and pass through customs using your passport.  They will probably ask a few questions to see how you react, like how long are you staying, where are you going, and so on.  But generally, it is not a rough process, but I would allow some time to clear the custom's process.  If you frequent Canada, you could apply for the Trusted Traveler program which streamlines clearing customs -- similar to Global Entry in the US.

Thank you!  This will happen at the port as we disembark?  Will I need to do anything at Vancouver airport upon entering/boarding?  Or not until we land back in the US, at our "home" airport?

37 minutes ago, PRMLVM said:

Thank you!  This will happen at the port as we disembark?  Will I need to do anything at Vancouver airport upon entering/boarding?  Or not until we land back in the US, at our "home" airport?

Vancouver airport has US immigration in it. So you'll go through the typical customs process there at the airport. Once you get back to the USA, it'll be like coming off a regular domestic flight.

32 minutes ago, PRMLVM said:

Yes at the port as you leave the ship.  The airport in Vancouver will be fairly uneventful as you will just check in as you would with a domestic flight at home -- biggest difference is they will ask for your passport specifically rather than any form of ID.  Coming back to the US, you will have to fill out another declaration form and go through customs again, but depending on the airport you are flying into, they may have the facial recognition technology which makes it a quick process.

Have a fun trip!

We flew in and out of Vancouver on a trip to Whistler in February.  Mrs Fan and I both have Global Entry so our experience may be a little different.  We checked our bags, so we only had backpack type stuff.  Even with Global Entry/Trusted Traveler/TSA-Pre (since TSA-Pre is a U.S. thing) You still have to unload your laptop, take off your shoes, belts, coats, etc.  We did get directed to another line that was less people, due to Global Entry.  Things are handled pretty much the same as any US airport. Your passport gets looked at several times as you traverse the concourse so keep that in mind.

Interesting topic. We (all europeans) are going to fly via DFW (point of entry) to Anchorage, then Seward, heading south to Vancouver with Radiance OTS.

From Vancouver then via DEN to Austin, TX.

If I did you understand correctly, there should be no time hassle at Vancouver airport, as we already got our I-94 assigned in DFW.

And even no problems deploying in Vancouver (having e-TAs all of us)?

Caro

We sailed on Radiance from Seward to Vancouver last August.  Disembarkation was the easiest I have ever had.  Royal provided a declaration card in your cabin for you to fill out.  As we disembarked, all Canadian customs did was collect that declaration card.  No-one looked at our passports or ArriveCan documentation.  I assume Canadian customs had cleared the ship prior to arrival as Royal had all the necessary documentation.

Flying out of Vancouver is no different than any other international travel except that you clear US customs in Vancouver.  I would plan some extra time for this as the lines can be long.  We have Global Entry which worked well and saved a lot of time, but I did notice that the main security/custom line was very long.