Suites discount vs. UDP Which is better?

AHollyS

Is it better to purchase the UDP before or use the discount of 40% from the suite on board?

I'm taking my mom on a shortie 4 day cruise as a way to spend time with her while she is still spry. She turned 70 this year. She has some challenges with here eating. She has allergies that we are dealing with. I was speaking with her about how this vacation has a plan for people with her allergies (Wheat (NOT gluten), Whey, Casein). It is one of the reasons she opted for this. I have some menus we reviewed together to see how she felt about it. I shared the UDP option with her. She CAN eat steak and potatoes so Chops is great for her. Also Asian foods in general is great as there is almost no dairy, corn starch is often used place of flouring meats and rice noodles are prevalent. So she is interested in Izumi. I told her we could to the UDP and eat at one of those every day (lunch/dinner). So I'm working on getting this option in place.

We are set for Serenade Of The Seas Aug 3 - Aug 7, 2023. I have purchased the UDP during the New Years "Sale" for both of us for 297.32 (148.66 pp with tax etc). This price claims to up "up to 40% off".  If just wait till I'm on board to book and just pay for it. I will get a 40% discount from the suite we are in. Will that be off a much higher onboard full price thus paying more than the UDP, or is it better to just use the UDP I have already purchased?

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to by "discount of 40% from the suite on board".

It has been my experience that it is always cheaper to purchase the UDP before getting on the ship.  Yes, they will be pushing the UDP once you board but I have never known it to be less expensive than you could have purchased it for, prior to boarding.  To my knowledge there is no exclusive "sale" offered to suites guests.

The percent off claim is based on someone booking specialty restaurants at full price on board the ship.  It is not a discount based on suite categories or CAS levels.  No CAS level currently receives a UDP discount.  

If you desire specialty dining and intend to visit all the venues on your ship then the UDP may be attractive to you.