Do you recommend any Santorini or other Greece and Croatia Cruise ports excursions?

cocoyang

Hi there,

We are family of four (kids 10 and 13) going to take the Greece and Croatia cruise next summer. 

We are not sure about shore excursions, but would like to hear your recommendations. Are there any shore excursions you took and highly recommend in Split, Santorini, ATHENS or Dubrovnik, particularly in Santorini? 

In these ports is it easy to walk around or take local bus to different sites? I was thinking, for example in Santorini, if not taking any excursions, we will take a local bus from Fira to Oia first, spend some time there, then take bus back to a few stops before Fira to walk along the cliff trail back to Fira. Does this sound easy and doable?

Thank you very much for your information.

Update: Our ship's itinery has changed, it will not go to Mykonos, instead it will go to Athens now, which may need a bit more planning since the port is far from the city center.

38 minutes ago, cocoyang said:

Hi there,

We are family of four (kids 10 and 13) going to take the Greece and Croatia cruise next summer. 

We are not sure about shore excursions, but would like to hear your recommendations. Are there any shore excursions you took and highly recommend in Split, Santorini, Mykonos and Dubrovnik, particularly in Santorini? 

In these ports is it easy to walk around or take local bus to different sites? I was thinking, for example in Santorini, if not taking any excursions, we will take a local bus from Fira to Oia first, spend some time there, then take bus back to a few stops before Fira to walk along the cliff trail back to Fira. Does this sound easy and doable?

In Santorini I would recommend a private island tour with santorini-roadtrips.com. You will go exactly where you want to go and take your time wherever you want. If you don't know where you want to go they will have several suggestions.

In Mykonos I took a semi-private tour with mykonoscruising.com but I wouldn't recommend it, instead I would walk the town by myself and then head for a beach-club.

3 hours ago, Carlos A. said:

In Santorini I would recommend a private island tour with santorini-roadtrips.com. You will go exactly where you want to go and take your time wherever you want. If you don't know where you want to go they will have several suggestions.

In Mykonos I took a semi-private tour with mykonoscruising.com but I wouldn't recommend it, instead I would walk the town by myself and then head for a beach-club.

Thank you so much! How many hours do you recommend for the private road trip if we just want to see sceneries, walk around in Fira and Oia? 

On 12/1/2022 at 2:39 PM, cocoyang said:

Hi there,

We are not sure about shore excursions, but would like to hear your recommendations. Are there any shore excursions you took and highly recommend in Split, Santorini, Mykonos or Dubrovnik, particularly in Santorini? 

For Santorini, if you want to just do your own thing, you can.

I visited there on Odyssey of the Seas last May and did an excursion which you can read about here:

However, someone else on my sailing posted on my blog on another site, explaining their DIY day there. This is what they had to say:

"Santorini...beautiful day...around 70, sunny with a cool breeze.

* 7:15 am down to the No.1  tender. I heard 75 onboard...took about 10 minutes to reach the Old Port.

* Took 8 minutes up the cable car to Fira. 6Euros/person one-way. You'll have to buy tickets again going down.

* Option to walk up or ride the donkey (sorry, I didn't get the price for the donkey ride.) Walkers will go up approximately 500 big steps, winding up the hill and navigate around donkey dung.

* We walked straight to the bus station. A leisurely10 minute walk; follow the yellow line on the sidewalk...or ask.

* We took the 8:30 am bus to Oia (eeh-yah)...sight of the world famous and highly photographed "Blue Dones". 1.60Euros/person one-way. People huddled around waiting...then a very courteous gentleman started announcing "bus to Oia!"...a line formed and the bus soon arrived.  Note: The man turned out to be the conductor. He firmly stopped those trying to cut the line. The bus was full with a few allowed to stand.  The conductor collected the money and loudly announced each stop. (Best to have small bills or the exact change)

* I believe there were 5 stops, but the bus driver only stopped twice...most of the passengers werr going to Oia.

* Fira to Oia was less than 30 minutes...but the spectacular scenery along the way will want you wishing the ride was longer.

* Oia...simply breathtaking. A short 5 minute walk will take you the Blue Domes...(yup, I took the time and kissed my beautiful wife.)

* We shared that iconic spot with a few others...all of us mesmerized...then the crowds came.

* We took the 10am bus (left at 10:15) back to Fira. This time the bus had plenty of seats...and no stops. Took only about 20 minutes to get back to Fira.

* Walked around Fira and took in more wonderful views...be careful, lots of steps. Personally, the views were magnified and enhanced by the incredible aroma coming from all the restaurants.

* Back down the cable car...on to the tender...and back on the Odyssey...1pm.

What a beautiful day."

Hope this helps. 🙂

I would get at least some sort of bus tour or private tour in Santorini... It us very crowded and that will help manage it.  We did a tour in mykenos that took us out to the island of delos which was amazing... Lots of ruins and a very nice museum.  Then we were able to head back to mykenos and found a great little cafe for lunch.  Have a wonderful cruise!  Jane

At Santorini, we took a Royal tour that took us to a black sand beach.  It really wasn't very crowded (this was July), and there was a restaurant across the street plus a convenience store.  On the way back, we were dropped off to shop and walk on our way to the funicular/cable car. I remember the unique experience walking in the water and feeling a "cement" bottom because the heat of the volcanic eruption turned the ocean floor to solid rock.  

On 12/2/2022 at 11:50 AM, FionaMG said:

I visited there on Odyssey of the Seas last May and did an excursion which you can read about here:

However, someone else on my sailing posted on my blog on another site, explaining their DIY day there. This is what they had to say:

* 7:15 am down to the No.1  tender. I heard 75 onboard...took about 10 minutes to reach the Old Port.

* Took 8 minutes up the cable car to Fira. 6Euros/person one-way. You'll have to buy tickets again going down.

* Option to walk up or ride the donkey (sorry, I didn't get the price for the donkey ride.) Walkers will go up approximately 500 big steps, winding up the hill and navigate around donkey dung.

* We walked straight to the bus station. A leisurely10 minute walk; follow the yellow line on the sidewalk...or ask.

* We took the 8:30 am bus to Oia (eeh-yah)...sight of the world famous and highly photographed "Blue Dones". 1.60Euros/person one-way. People huddled around waiting...then a very courteous gentleman started announcing "bus to Oia!"...a line formed and the bus soon arrived.  Note: The man turned out to be the conductor. He firmly stopped those trying to cut the line. The bus was full with a few allowed to stand.  The conductor collected the money and loudly announced each stop. (Best to have small bills or the exact change)

* I believe there were 5 stops, but the bus driver only stopped twice...most of the passengers werr going to Oia.

* Fira to Oia was less than 30 minutes...but the spectacular scenery along the way will want you wishing the ride was longer.

* Oia...simply breathtaking. A short 5 minute walk will take you the Blue Domes...(yup, I took the time and kissed my beautiful wife.)

* We shared that iconic spot with a few others...all of us mesmerized...then the crowds came.

* We took the 10am bus (left at 10:15) back to Fira. This time the bus had plenty of seats...and no stops. Took only about 20 minutes to get back to Fira.

* Walked around Fira and took in more wonderful views...be careful, lots of steps. Personally, the views were magnified and enhanced by the incredible aroma coming from all the restaurants.

What a beautiful day."

Hope this helps. 🙂

This is amazing information, it really helps. Thank you so much Fiona! 

7 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I would get at least some sort of bus tour or private tour in Santorini... It us very crowded and that will help manage it.  We did a tour in mykenos that took us out to the island of delos which was amazing... Lots of ruins and a very nice museum.  Then we were able to head back to mykenos and found a great little cafe for lunch.  Have a wonderful cruise!  Jane

Thank you! Yes the crowd in a hot summer is kinda scary, makes it hard to do things unplanned.

• 2 weeks later...

In Santorini do you have to make your own way to the top (climb stairs, donkey, or otherwise) or do the tour buses pick you up and drop you off down below?

Are buses/taxis, tips, etc. in Euros? How much in Euros did you buy?  Did you buy them before the cruise?  Are Euros used at all ports including Crete and Turkey?

In Santorini, we took the Royal excursion “Oia on your own” which got us off the ship and to Oia quickly.  We told the bus driver we would not be going back yo Fira with the group.   We then walked the cliff trail from Oia to Fira using the directions from Santorini Dave.  We had refreshments at a cliff side bar in Fira and then walked down the donkey path to the tender back to the ship.  It was one of the best days ever!  Honestly, magnificent scenery with every step.

Caveats:  We we’re not there on a hot day — high was mid 70s.  Our family hikes all of the time, so the walk was fine.  If your kid are accustomed to 6-7 mile walks with 2000ft elevation gain, it should not be a problem.  But, it is a real hike with significant elevation gain.  It has some remote areas with no easy out alternatives.

I seldom take a RC excursion.  In Santorini, however, the excursion gets you off the ship and to shore efficiently.  Without an excursion, you will need tender tickets and will wait for a tender.  You will then need to either ferry to Oia or wait in a long line to take a gondola to Fira.  Excursions avoid all of this.

On 12/16/2022 at 6:41 AM, Tim King said:

In Santorini do you have to make your own way to the top (climb stairs, donkey, or otherwise) or do the tour buses pick you up and drop you off down below?

Are buses/taxis, tips, etc. in Euros? How much in Euros did you buy?  Did you buy them before the cruise?  Are Euros used at all ports including Crete and Turkey?

If you are not on an excursion, you have to wait for a tender and then get up to Fira.  Either you walk up and up and up (down is fine) or you wait for a gondola.  

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2022 at 2:01 AM, Babsy47 said:

In Santorini, we took the Royal excursion “Oia on your own” which got us off the ship and to Oia quickly.  We told the bus driver we would not be going back yo Fira with the group.   We then walked the cliff trail from Oia to Fira using the directions from Santorini Dave.  We had refreshments at a cliff side bar in Fira and then walked down the donkey path to the tender back to the ship.  It was one of the best days ever!  Honestly, magnificent scenery with every step.

Caveats:  We we’re not there on a hot day — high was mid 70s.  Our family hikes all of the time, so the walk was fine.  If your kid are accustomed to 6-7 mile walks with 2000ft elevation gain, it should not be a problem.  But, it is a real hike with significant elevation gain.  It has some remote areas with no easy out alternatives.

I seldom take a RC excursion.  In Santorini, however, the excursion gets you off the ship and to shore efficiently.  Without an excursion, you will need tender tickets and will wait for a tender.  You will then need to either ferry to Oia or wait in a long line to take a gondola to Fira.  Excursions avoid all of this.

Hello @Babsy47, When you did the "Oia on your own" did others in the group go off to Fira after? We are sailing on Odyssey of the Sea for a 7 night Greek Isle cruise out of Rome in July and I am thinking of doing Oia on your own or Fira on your own. The Fira on your own starts at 4:30 and I don't want to start that late. Oia starts at 1:30. I am not sure what time we arrive or leave port that day. I will be traveling with a 13, and 16 year old, my husband, and my 78 year old mother. So we have a variety of interests, but we are all capable of walking (maybe not the whole path between the towns).

Any suggestions which one would be better or if we should do one on our own? Thank you.  

On 12/16/2022 at 2:37 PM, Tim King said:

How much in Euros did you buy?  Did you buy them before the cruise?  Are Euros used at all ports including Crete and Turkey?

Euros in Crete and Turkish lira in Turkey. In the touristy areas in Turkey you'll probably be fine with USD. In fact, a vendor selling Turkish delight boarded our bus at Ephesus and was selling in USD. This is because Turkey's own currency is weaker against western currencies like the dollar, euro and pound, so it's worth their while to make the trip to the bank to exchange them.

I wouldn't count on that so much in Crete and other Greek ports, where the currency is strong and it's more trouble than it's worth to exchange. Best to take along some euros for smaller purchases, coffees, tips and the like and use a credit card for larger purchases. The majority of souvenir shops will take credit cards. Always insist on paying in the local currency and let your card provider handle the exchange as you'll get a better rate.

Also note that tipping is not really a big thing here in Europe unless you're eating at a fancy restaurant or someone is going way above and beyond for you. Normally a few coins on the plate in a coffee shop or rounding up a taxi fare to the next or next again full number will suffice.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 12:53 PM, Cojedo said:

Hello @Babsy47, When you did the "Oia on your own" did others in the group go off to Fira after? We are sailing on Odyssey of the Sea for a 7 night Greek Isle cruise out of Rome in July and I am thinking of doing Oia on your own or Fira on your own. The Fira on your own starts at 4:30 and I don't want to start that late. Oia starts at 1:30. I am not sure what time we arrive or leave port that day. I will be traveling with a 13, and 16 year old, my husband, and my 78 year old mother. So we have a variety of interests, but we are all capable of walking (maybe not the whole path between the towns).

Any suggestions which one would be better or if we should do one on our own? Thank you.  

Yes, two of our group took the bus back to Fira while the other four of us walked back.  We were on Odyssey as well.  Getting off the ship is a challenge.  I do not know anything about the "Fira on your own" trip.  We took the Oia trip starting at 1:30 and were one of the first groups off the ship.  We waited on the tender until it filled.  The tender took us to an area where we loaded a bus that they drove us to Oia.  We did not need to go up the gondola or donkey path.  You could split into two groups with some walking to Fira and some taking the bus back with the tour group.  I'm not sure how much opportunity there is to find a way back to Fira once you start the walk out of Oia; it is relatively remote and I don't know that there are many cabs or other means of transport.   

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for this!! I am going on the Odyssey of the Seas in August and we will be doing Naples / Myknonos / Kusadasi and Santorini. 

I will definitely take your advice and do Mykonos on our own. Debating on the Santorini excursion. I want to save my money for Naples and go to Amalfi Coast and Positano. 

RC is offering this excursion - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/account/cruise-planner/category/pt_shoreX/product/NPS9?bookingId=6793027&shipCode=OY&sailDate=20230806

Any thoughts? has anyone else here done this? I want to splurge here and debating on booking this one of finding my own way around with my family. Any thoughts? 

14 hours ago, Dutch Frost said:

Thank you so much for this!! I am going on the Odyssey of the Seas in August and we will be doing Naples / Myknonos / Kusadasi and Santorini. 

I will definitely take your advice and do Mykonos on our own. Debating on the Santorini excursion. I want to save my money for Naples and go to Amalfi Coast and Positano. 

RC is offering this excursion - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/account/cruise-planner/category/pt_shoreX/product/NPS9?bookingId=6793027&shipCode=OY&sailDate=20230806

Any thoughts? has anyone else here done this? I want to splurge here and debating on booking this one of finding my own way around with my family. Any thoughts? 

Book it! Here's why:

- You get a fantastic seaside journey along the Amalfi Coast to Capri and Positano, plus lunch.

- Positano is beautiful. We drove to there (bought a Bimmer in Munich and shipped it home) and stayed overnight. Prepare for a few hundred stair-steps.

- Things in Italy don't always go according to schedule, especially in August with many Italians taking the month off. The excursion will buy you peace-of-mind.

- Save room for Napoli pizza when enjoying the typical liqueurs and decadent pastries. Watch some of the street food vendors on youtube.

We're planning on this cruise next year or one similar if we do the TA on ODY.

Ciao

9 hours ago, Seafarer said:

Book it! Here's why:

- You get a fantastic seaside journey along the Amalfi Coast to Capri and Positano, plus lunch.

- Positano is beautiful. We drove to there (bought a Bimmer in Munich and shipped it home) and stayed overnight. Prepare for a few hundred stair-steps.

- Things in Italy don't always go according to schedule, especially in August with many Italians taking the month off. The excursion will buy you peace-of-mind.

- Save room for Napoli pizza when enjoying the typical liqueurs and decadent pastries. Watch some of the street food vendors on youtube.

We're planning on this cruise next year or one similar if we do the TA on ODY.

Ciao

Grazie!!! lastly do we get beach time? We want to enjoy the beach and go swim. We want to go into the blue lagoon and swim also. Does this give us time to enjoy the water? I dont want to get 30 mins of beach time and then go drink Limoncello. I dont care for liquor drinking. I am going to be with my wife and 5 yr daughter and we want to really enjoy ourselves. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2022 at 11:50 AM, FionaMG said:

What a beautiful day."

Hope this helps. 🙂

Wow, they were probably not in summer peak season since the temperature was only 70? We will be arriving in early August and that day there will be 4 or 5 cruise ships at the port (including two other big ships), so there may be thousands of passengers trying to get in the town from the old port. I think getting an inexpensive excursion probably would be our best bet. I just booked "Oia on your own", it starts at 7:30am! But at least we will be at Oia early and then take a bus midway and walk along the cliff trail back to Fira.

On 12/21/2022 at 2:01 AM, Babsy47 said:

Hi, thank you for the information. I was going to do it on our own, but thinking of the hot August weather and then found out today that on that day there will be 4 or 5 cruise ships at the old port, I immediately decided to book an excursion to avoid the crowd and the waiting pain.

I just booked "Oia on your own" excursion for the 4 of us too! Our ship stops from 7am to 8pm and this excursion starts at 7:30! A bit too early, but we will beat the crowd and can walk around Oia on our own. We don't plan to take the bus back either, it's only 3 hours and 15 minutes, so will end early. We are thinking of taking a local bus to Imerovigli, then walk along cliff trail through Firostefani and back to Fira. I heard this part of the trail is very beautiful. How long do you think it will take, I heard 2 to 4 hours? We are hoping to get back to Fira by 5pm and then take cable car or walk down the hill to the tender boat. What would you recommend based on your expereince, does it sound like a good plan? Thanks!